PDA

View Full Version : another diy co2 recipe

ctruz1110
06-09-2007, 04:17 AM
well.. i'm not sure if it is safe.. but i've made a diy co2 with half bottle (around 300ml) of leftover rootbeer. (because i dont like drinking it and dont feel like throwing it, so i left it in my room for 3 days and suddenly feel like trying to make co2 with it). no warm water was added. just some room temperature filtered water to dissolve the dry yeast. pour it into the rootbeer bottle,shake it and leave it for an hour+. then go for dinner!! (that's what i did) no response at first.. so i shake the bottle slowly and Yahoo!!!! :thumb:

OzPlaty
06-12-2007, 10:02 AM
I think the flat root beer just acts as a source of 'sugar' for the fermentation process. I suspect that there won't be enough sugar in solution to drive the reaction for very long.
Let us know how long it goes for.

ChurchofAdam
06-12-2007, 05:44 PM
there's a lot of sugar in root beer/cola, I'm sure. I'm wondering what the other ingredients will do to the culture. does yeast respond to caffeine? lol

hungryhound
06-12-2007, 05:48 PM
I think the flat root beer just acts as a source of 'sugar' for the fermentation process. I suspect that there won't be enough sugar in solution to drive the reaction for very long.

I agree. I think that the rootbeer is just acting as an expensive sugar source, and with only 300 mL the alcohol will quickly build up to toxic levels for the yeast, but it should work in the short term.

Algenco
06-13-2007, 02:42 AM
That gives me an idea! I make 5 gal of Elderberry wine each summer, it usually works off for around 3 months. I'll just hook the carboy up to my 55 and have lots of CO2.

And when it quits producing, you can drink it:hmm3grin2orange:

ctruz1110
06-13-2007, 03:19 AM

yes.. the root beer acts as sugar and too bad it only last for 4 days.

bmeyer43
06-13-2007, 01:17 PM
since some of the ales ferment vigorously for several weeks and the lagers would ferment even longer, but controlling the temperature would be a problem?