PDA

View Full Version : Help me looking for the killer in my tank

born2blove
07-25-2010, 10:18 PM
every day 1 got 1 neon pass away water test fine, I think some thing happen at night time when the light turn of

Fish in my tank.

4 Guppy
6 Neon
2 Turwquoise Dwarf Grourami
2 Clown Loach
2 moiiles
4 SerpaeTetra

Please help me to find who is the killer

OceanLover
07-25-2010, 10:31 PM
every day 1 got 1 neon pass away water test fine, I think some thing happen at night time when the light turn of

Fish in my tank.

4 Guppy
6 Neon
2 Turwquoise Dwarf Grourami
2 Clown Loach
2 moiiles
4 SerpaeTetra

Please help me to find who is the killer

I like gouramis but once in a while you may get an aggressive one. IT is extremely possible that your pair of gouramis is ganging up on your neons.

Meenu
07-25-2010, 10:33 PM
I agree that it could easily be the DGs. Or it could just be that they are neons. I've had neons before, and now I have cardinals. My experience with them is that slowly, their numbers dwindle. I never find a body...they just disappear, usually one at a time. My other fish don't do this.

OceanLover
07-25-2010, 10:35 PM
I agree that it could easily be the DGs. Or it could just be that they are neons. I've had neons before, and now I have cardinals. My experience with them is that slowly, their numbers dwindle. I never find a body...they just disappear, usually one at a time. My other fish don't do this.

They are pretty stupid too and if you have a surface filter with the pipe going down the back of the tank they like to swim up it.. Not so sure how they do this with the cap guard thingy on it but... they do.

born2blove
07-25-2010, 10:46 PM
My nail show me he eat one of my neon.
6 neon 3 day ago now only 3 left 2 disappear.
I love Cardinals but it cost 3.99 each. I have to find out who is the killer before I get cardinal.

I love pair of Turwquoise Dwarf Grourami, but My wife love neon.
if this pair of Turwquoise Dwarf Grourami are killer I have to donation to pets inc only that place take donation fish.

I check in comapatibel list they said neon can stay with Honey Gourami.

The Neon Tetra should be kept in groups of 8 and is compatible with the Black Phantom Tetra, Cardinal Tetra, Corydoras Catfish, Discus, Dwarf Neon Rainbow, Endlers Livebearer, Gardneri Killifish, Glass Catfish, Glass Fish, Glowlight Tetra, Guppy, Harlequin Rasbora, Honey Gourami, Kuhli Loach, Pleco (Common), Pristella Tetra, Ram Cichlid, Red Phantom Tetra, Silver Hatchetfish, White Cloud,

rich311k
07-25-2010, 10:47 PM
It could just be the batch of neons, they are not the hardiest of fish.

born2blove
07-25-2010, 11:00 PM
Seam like if I get Cardianl Neon, it will be kill by Turwquoise Dwarf Grourami too.
is that right?
If I want to keep Neon I have give away Turwquoise Dwarf Grourami.

smaug
07-25-2010, 11:09 PM
If your water is not suited to neons or if you have the normal bad batch of neons then a death of 1 a day is about right.If this was a killer fish doing it you would see more then one a night dying.

born2blove
07-26-2010, 12:03 AM
This is my water test
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/born2blove/Fish%20Tank/CRW_7960.jpg

Tempeture set at 80 all time.

OceanLover
07-26-2010, 12:26 AM
My nail show me he eat one of my neon.
6 neon 3 day ago now only 3 left 2 disappear.
I love Cardinals but it cost 3.99 each. I have to find out who is the killer before I get cardinal.

I love pair of Turwquoise Dwarf Grourami, but My wife love neon.
if this pair of Turwquoise Dwarf Grourami are killer I have to donation to pets inc only that place take donation fish.

thats also a generalization, there's no guarantee that any fish will get along for sure, my guess is the gouramis are the ones eating your other fish. Its possible to put both your gouramis into a 10 gallon tank and keep them separate from the neons and then you and your wife can have the fish you like.

OceanLover
07-26-2010, 12:28 AM
This is my water test

Your water could be too warm also, remember the cooler the water the more O2 in it. About 76 is usually ideal for fresh water tropical fish.

smaug
07-26-2010, 12:31 AM
This is my water test

Nice Pic!Still,water can test perfect and still not be neon water.They can be stupid hard to keep and many times it is more about bad neons then bad water.I have about 25 of them atm.To get that final number after 6 months I started out with almost 50.Im not saying its definetly not one of your other fish but I doubt it.

born2blove
07-26-2010, 12:47 AM
I had my DIY co2 run, maybe 80 make my plant slow.
I just set it back to 76

I will move pair of Gourami

Thank You every one help

Sursion
07-26-2010, 02:38 AM

Honey Gourami's and Dwarf Gourami's are not the same.

born2blove
07-27-2010, 03:51 AM
I don't know wha goingn withy fish tank, another 2 Guppy die. 1 die this morning my nail eat, 1 this afternoon when i get home for lunch I see he hide at the top corner of water filter. 6pm I get home he die.

I don't know what happen with my fish tank.

OceanLover
07-27-2010, 07:32 PM
I don't know wha goingn withy fish tank, another 2 Guppy die. 1 die this morning my nail eat, 1 this afternoon when i get home for lunch I see he hide at the top corner of water filter. 6pm I get home he die.

I don't know what happen with my fish tank.

Its kinda hard to read what you're saying.. You need to work on the grammar a bit.

What is in your tank? Exactly. When was the last time you cleaned the tank? Changed the filter? Tested it? Any live plants? Have you made any "accessory" additions lately (fake plants, huts etc..)?- If so did you rinse them really well with cold water? Any new stone? -also rinsed well with cold water..
Have you done ANYTHING new? changed food... anything.

Lab_Rat
07-27-2010, 08:51 PM
This is my water test

You sure you didn't mix up the ammonia and nitrate vials? Looks to me like the one on the far right has a tinge of green, and there should be no possibility of green in the nitrate test. If they're mixed up, that bit of ammonia is the likely culprit since neons are very sensitive to water quality.

smaug
07-27-2010, 11:30 PM
That's a good eye labby.You may have something there!

born2blove
07-27-2010, 11:55 PM
Thank You for help
I took out 2 of my Dwarf Grourami last night, this morning I did not see any dead fish.
I will retest my Nitrate again see.
I did not use any Carbon in 2 of my filter.
In my fuval 205 I use all biomax, the top tray I use sponge.
On Eclipse3 I just take out filter carbon.
DIY CO2 with wood Air Stone. I think about use power head Mexijet 1200 to run my CO2 but I worry about too much water movement will kill the fish, that why I let my Power head seat on the side.

hockeyhead019
07-28-2010, 12:31 AM
it was most likely you're gourami's, they like to pick a fish and then just beat it up till death is my experience, sometimes they do it to new fish sometimes they don't... the original dead fish could have causes an ammonia spike and then that could've lead to the chain death of the neon's as they definitely aren't a very hardy fish

sorry to hear about your loss. hope you get everything sorted out!

born2blove
07-28-2010, 05:20 AM
Thank You All
I just take another water test at 10:00 pm

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/born2blove/Fish%20Tank/CRW_7964.jpg

Please let me know if some thing not right with my water.

Thank You

Scrup
07-28-2010, 05:47 AM
Whats the PH showing up as?!? Ammonia and nitrites are fine, have you tested the nitrates?

Lady Hobbs
07-28-2010, 09:39 AM
pH appears to be 7.6 which is what mine always reads.

My bet is those gourami's. Neons are a natural lunch for many fish and fish are also night hunters. Easy to grab those little guys when they're all together sleeping. Neons are wonderful little fish but I think they do best with other small fish or alone in a tank. They tend to hug the bottom of the tank with others and really don't get the opportunity to "shine".

OceanLover
07-28-2010, 04:25 PM
Or you need a large group of neons.. 10+.. they are safer in the school.

This is definitely the point I was trying to make (when this thread first started), gouramis can be aggressive to smaller fish.

born2blove
07-28-2010, 08:05 PM
Thank You

What Should I do to low The PH to 7.0 ?

Does DIY CO2 make PH go higher ?

Thank You

smaug
07-28-2010, 09:31 PM
Your ph is fine.Mine is right around 7.5 with neons and many other so called acidic loving fish.

born2blove
07-28-2010, 11:58 PM
Thank You So Much for all you guy help me.
6 neon now only 3 left
6 Guppy now only 3 left
Time to go home I will stop by Petsmart get 7 more neon to make group for 10
and get some Plant.

Have a nice day all

Jason Golden
07-29-2010, 04:58 AM
i got a batch of neons that did the same thing and they were with a couple platys and danios around the same size, and ik they didnt do the murdering, they were just neons, like its been said they rnt the hardiest of fish and most schools of neons dwindle its apart of keeping the lil guys.

Excellence
07-29-2010, 11:42 AM
Dwarf gouramis can also be aggressive to larger fish their size, like angels. My recent one was. Especially if the gourami came first and thinks it's his tank.

Personally, I don't think it's the gourami. Neons/cardinals are just weak fish. They'll die within a week or so when first bought. Your water quality must really be good for them. And your acclimation to the tank carefully.

If they were some's lunch, you'd see remnants and bones possibly. Gouramis can't eat them like that. Not when you're feeding them dinner too.

Was my advise helpful? I don't know. Based on my experience. I know DG behaviour well. They are childish, rude little things.

Lady Hobbs
07-29-2010, 02:28 PM
Your ph is fine.Mine is right around 7.5 with neons and many other so called acidic loving fish.

I agree. pH is fine where it is without messing around with it.

born2blove
07-29-2010, 04:41 PM
Yesterday I still see 3 Neon, this morning I wake up and only 2 left, I can not find the body for missing Neon.
Current I have these fish in my 30 galon
3 Guppy
3 Neon (1 missing this morning)
2 Clown Loach
2 Orange Platy
4 SerpaeTetra
2 Cory
2 white snail (petsmart)
also I found in my tank has 2 baby 3/8" convic ( last time my tank has a pair of Convic)

Why my Neon Missing?
I can not buy more Neon if I can not find out the reason why My neon keep missing.
My filter has been cover with filter guard.
make me headache

smaug
07-29-2010, 09:16 PM
Ta da!! It wasnt the gouarami.Neons die,thats what they do best when everything isnt perfect.Most of your existing fish will eat a dead body,the clowns especially.

born2blove
07-30-2010, 01:26 AM
Does Clown Loach kill Neon?

rich311k
07-30-2010, 01:37 AM
The neons are dieing because they are sensitive, line bred fish. It is tough to get good neons. Nothing is killing them they are dieing it happens to the best fish keepers with standard store bought neons. Stop looking for a culprit there is not one. Get your tank stable an then add a different small tetra, there are many hardy ones to choose from.

Excellence
07-31-2010, 12:15 PM
The clown loach is a playful fun loving fellow. It won't harm a neon-class fish. They'd have to be full grown and starving to do it, I think.

born2blove
07-31-2010, 04:38 PM
Thank You
Maybe my fish tank too small (30galon) for clown loach 1 of them die this morning.

smaug
07-31-2010, 06:18 PM
Yes the tank is too small for clown loaches,even the remaining one.Im gonna ask this one time.Do you want the help that is offered here?If so you need to show it and actually follow our advice.Im done trying unless you can answer this.

Excellence
08-01-2010, 01:26 AM
Smaug's right. Hobb and others urged me to exchange my beloved clown loaches even thought they were small and juvenile, because they're better in a larger tank with more kin. Sometimes you have to do what's right for the pets, not what we feel.

Exchanged for corys, and by Bumblebee's engine has the tank never looked cleaner. I have nothing to syphon, really. It worked out good.

born2blove
08-01-2010, 06:14 AM
I will donation my clown loaches and 2 Dwarf Grourami to Pets Inc tomorrow.

I move my 2 Dwarf Grourami to 1 galon bata tank for 4 days I need to give him away ASAP.

Excellence
08-01-2010, 11:49 AM
I've good exp with dwarf gouramis. They look graceful, but are just too aggressive. They've no problems taking on bigger fish and making their life miserable. They're not ideal for community setups.

There's plenty of playful fish out there. Corys for the bottom, rosy barb longtails up top. I was forced to remove my dwarf gouramis, considering I spent so much time persuading my store to get them in. Unfortunately, they don't mix well.