PDA

View Full Version : Cloudy Water - Micro Bubbles?

Glyn
07-25-2010, 08:03 PM
I have been dealing with some cloudy water for a month or so now. The tank has been up for about six months. I tried a ~35% water change yesterday to attempt to clear it out but it still is the same as it was.

I don't know if it is just a lot of particles or if it is micro bubbles. I turned off my air stone this morning to see if it would clear, it hasn't yet. The fish seem to be ok, its just sort of an eye sore.

Here's a video of what it looks like...

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f52/public_enemy_2/Fish%20Tank/th_MVI_2450.jpg (http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f52/public_enemy_2/Fish%20Tank/?action=view&current=MVI_2450.mp4)

...any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Taurus
07-25-2010, 08:07 PM
What are your water parameters and what type of filter are you using?

Spardas
07-25-2010, 08:31 PM
What's your water change regime? What's your feeding schedule?

What kind of filtration? How much livestock in the tank and how big is it?

Scrup
07-25-2010, 08:37 PM
Doesn't look like a bacterial bloom. Have you tried polishing pads of some sort?

Glyn
07-25-2010, 10:35 PM
As far as parameters go, I only have the strips and I know that they arent too reliable, but they are telling me 0 ammonia, 7-8ph, 0 nitrite and 5 nitrate. I should probably go get the liquid test kit.

Im using two Aquaclear 70's, im using the sponge, biomax, and a polishing pad in both.

I do about a 30% water change every week, I switch off between flakes and frozen every other day, once a day.

I have 16 africain cichlids and its a 65 gallon tank.

dmagerl
07-25-2010, 11:50 PM
What lighting do you have?

Taurus
07-26-2010, 03:53 PM
Liquid test kits aren't perfect, but they are better than the paper test strips.

Two AC 70's should be enough filtration if your tank is not overstocked.
That's pretty much how I configure my AC media.

Which African Cichlids and what is their size?

I should probably go get the liquid test kit.

Im using two Aquaclear 70's, im using the sponge, biomax, and a polishing pad in both.

I have 16 africain cichlids and its a 65 gallon tank.

Glyn
07-26-2010, 06:26 PM
I just bought the master test kit so Ill test my water and post the results in a little bit.

Glyn
07-26-2010, 07:18 PM
Well I just tested with the liquid kit and its obvious that my strips were not quite up to snuff.

Ammonia somewhere between 0 and .25, 0 nitrite, nitrate somewhere between 20 and 40.

Obviously that isnt too good. So should I do another water change to lower my nitrates?

As far as my fish go...

3 Yellow Labs
2 Jewel
2 Small red zebras
2 Small julies
2 Bumblebee
2 Regular sized julie
2 Kenyi
1 Small Frontosa

The biggest one is probably 4-5 inches, most are all around the same size.

Glyn
07-26-2010, 07:24 PM
dmagerl,

I am using a coralife 10,000k 32w T8 fluorescent light, it came with the tank.

dmagerl
07-26-2010, 09:47 PM
I asked because it could be an algae outbreak, though 35W on a 65g tank doesnt seem excesive.

I've been battling foggy water ever since I set up my 55g tank back last January. I'd do a 50% water cahnge and the tank would be crystal clear. After a day it'd be foggy again. After a week, you'd hardly be able to see through it. It's been like this for 8 months!

I had once taken a whole house water filter and a powerhead and filtered the tank through a 1 micron filter. Other than clogging the filter in relatively short order, the filter took on a distinctly green tinge, leading me to think it was algae causing the fogginess. There was certainly no trace of green in the water of the tank itself, just fogginess.

So I turned out the lights, 2 54w T5HO. Not a complete blackout, just no lights. I also started daily 50-60% water changes. After a few days, the water started to clear and it stayed clear from day to day. I also started doing normal doses of Excel for its algae killing ability.

I am now slowing ramping up the light and stopped the daily water changes. I'm up to 2 hours a day of 1 T5HO and the water is still clear. Its been 3 days since the last big water change. I've also been following the EI dosing regime with CO2 prior to this lights out peiod, and this hasnt changed.

So I think I finally have it licked, attributing it to too much light.

Taurus
07-26-2010, 10:42 PM
Great. You solved your own problem. Congrats!

So I think I finally have it licked, attributing it to too much light.

Glyn
07-26-2010, 10:56 PM
That makes a little sense to me. I left the light off for about a week at the beginning of this month when I went on vacation. When I got back I did notice that the water was a little bit clearer.

I took out one of my filter pads yesterday and in a day it turned from white to an orange brown color so I am confident that it is filtering out something. Probably just some of my diatom problem.