PDA

View Full Version : duckweed?

psychic.pain
06-09-2007, 03:26 AM
I have a 16 gallon bowfront with a pair of firemouths and I also have a planted tank. I wanted to add to my 16 gallon some surface floating plants
and I came across duckweed because of it's heartiness and it's ability to grow and reproduce under a wide range of temperatures and Ph levels. I also found out that duckweed (lemna minor) filters out many nutrients such and nitrogen, phosphates, and ammonia. Is there any reason to worry that my fish will not be getting the proper sustenance they need to be happy and healthy? That the duckweed will do more damage than good?

hungryhound
06-09-2007, 03:50 AM
Your description of duckweed is pretty much correct in that it soaks up nutrients and reproduces in a wide range of conditions. It will not be harmful to your fish, but you may be begin feeling more than just psychic pain,

Duckweed is considered a weed by many as it's aforementioned ability to reproduce. Be forewarned that if you get this plant it will take over the top of your tank and is a pain to get rid of.

I personally just got an order of plants in the mail today that were contaminated with duckweed and it took me over an hour to pick out all the little pieces.

Frogbit is similar to duckweed but it does not reproduce as readily and could be an option.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/images/Apiaceae/Limnobium3.jpg

Clicking here will take you to a web site that allows you to search for floating plants-go to plant type and select floating and hit go (http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/index.php)

I am not saying that you should not do this, I just want to caution you that many hobbiest have found this plant to be more of a curse than a blessing. The plant book I own even strongly recommends staying away from this plant.

I wish you good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.

Nick_Pavlovski
06-09-2007, 04:10 AM
IMO, only use it if you know your fish enjoy eating it, becuase then they can help you keep it under control.

It's a curse becuase it's so damn fiddly and resilient. I was really glad when I finally eliminated it from my tank. Lots of net and tweezer work.

Apparently goldfish quite like it...

Incredulous_Ed
06-09-2007, 09:17 PM
IMO, only use it if you know your fish enjoy eating it, becuase then they can help you keep it under control.

It's a curse becuase it's so damn fiddly and resilient. I was really glad when I finally eliminated it from my tank. Lots of net and tweezer work.

Apparently goldfish quite like it...
goldfish will eat it all really quickly!

sergo
06-09-2007, 10:00 PM
i put some in my 55 and took it out like 3 days later. it's more of a p.i.t.a. than it's worth. it'll end up in your filters clogging it up and just continues to snow ball from there. it does however come in handy for my little turtle, he likes the cover and he eats some of it.

Nick_Pavlovski
06-09-2007, 11:33 PM
goldfish will eat it all really quickly!

I'd read that, but don't want to introduce it to my pond in case the fussy so-and-so's turn their noses up at it, then I have to try to get rid of it!!!!!!

troy
06-10-2007, 12:11 AM
You could just keep at amount you want, by frequently removing some of it.

psychic.pain
06-10-2007, 02:03 AM
I did see some pictures of duckweed that had taken over a river during a drought in Philidelphia and while playing disc golf today I noticed a small water hole covered in the crap. So it's safe to say I'm a bit worried about it doing the same to my tank. I do plan though, actually b/c I have already ordered a specimen, to just groom what I don't want out and hell maybe pick up a couple of goldfish. Once my firemouths grow into this 16 though I bet they become their food. But that's nature and the food chain at work. Thanks for the input.