PDA

View Full Version : How much water is too much?

Victory
07-25-2010, 06:42 PM
Can you have too much water in your tank? I understand that changing water and the like can be a lil difficult.

funkman262
07-25-2010, 06:52 PM
Hi victory. Welcome to the AC!

I don't quite understand your question here. What size tank and how many gallons are you talking about? Do you want to know if it's ok to fill the tank to the rim? I fill my tanks all the way to the top and haven't encountered any problems in doing so. And there are methods to make water changes easier than simply using buckets by the way.

EDIT: I just noticed this thread was specifically for bettas. Bettas do prefer having shallow water because they breathe air but leaving an inch gap at the top shouldn't make much of a difference. Sorry if I'm still not understanding the purpose of this question.

Victory
07-25-2010, 07:01 PM
I'll clarify, in the case of Bettas, whether I'd have to worry about having too much water or not. I'm currently using a 10 gallon.

funkman262
07-25-2010, 07:06 PM
As long as the top is completely covered so the betta can't jump out, I can't think of any issues with having the tank filled. I know many others who have used 10g tanks for their bettas (both solitary and divided) and have not had any problems with it.

VoidParadigm
07-25-2010, 07:16 PM
No such thing as "too much water"!

Think about it, would you ever have "too much air"?

So long as the water's not flowing out of the tank, and the fish isn't a jumper with no hood, you're fine.

Scrup
07-25-2010, 08:41 PM
Just make sure, having a betta, that there is at least a tiny gap between the lid and the water so they can breathe (basically don't fill it up so much that the water is touching the lid).

funkman262
07-25-2010, 08:53 PM
Just make sure, having a betta, that there is at least a tiny gap between the lid and the water so they can breathe (basically don't fill it up so much that the water is touching the lid).

If the top being used is a flat glass top, then this is a very good point :thumbsup:

Northernguy
07-25-2010, 08:53 PM
What type of lid? I have one with a plastic lid and there is plenty of space.I also have one with a glass lid and I am able to fill the tank to the glass leaving no space at all.
If its glass and the water touches the glass its too much.
There should be a space for the betta to surface and get some air.At least 1/2".

Sarkazmo
07-25-2010, 09:18 PM
Think about it, would you ever have "too much air"?

Ever been thrown out of a plane? You'll definitely think you've got too much air! :P

Sark

OceanLover
07-25-2010, 10:03 PM
Can you have too much water in your tank? I understand that changing water and the like can be a lil difficult.

If you're worried about betas you might want to make sure there's some kind of lid on the tank, whether its in a beta cube with a plastic lid and a gap of an inch or so at the top between the water level and the lid or if there is a plant on top in a little plastic cup with rocks in it (peace plants do well btw). But usually an inch or a little more is a good rule of thumb for amount of air... also, I apologize if I got the intent all wrong..

OceanLover
07-25-2010, 10:07 PM
I'll clarify, in the case of Bettas, whether I'd have to worry about having too much water or not. I'm currently using a 10 gallon.

With that size tank the biggest worry is whether or not you're using a filter. You need to be careful, I suggest a large apple snail or something along those lines because your beta will leave it alone and it won't hurt your fish. I don't recommend using a filter because betas are surface feeders and with the filter running into the top of the water it will knock the food to the bottom of the tank and your fish may starve... (I speak from experience on this one)... so be careful with the size of tank for a beta, oh and you can add other fish into the tank with it... just not other male betas.

Victory
07-25-2010, 10:24 PM
@OL don't worry, I've had bettas before, and have had relatively good success in having them with community fish. I was just double-checking on this one. The filter hasn't given me problems with feeding bettas and the like.

Thanks guys. And, technically, you can have too much air.

OceanLover
07-25-2010, 10:25 PM
@OL don't worry, I've had bettas before, and have had relatively good success in having them with community fish. I was just double-checking on this one. The filter hasn't given me problems with feeding bettas and the like.

Thanks guys. And, technically, you can have too much air.

I particularly like the falling out of a plane comment.. :19: