PDA

View Full Version : I have a practiced idea to solve a few floating plants problems

aussie114
07-25-2010, 10:41 AM
Back Ground:

I bought some elodea water weed for my aquarium and tried to start it floating on the surface, problem: my tank is a spa bath and the plants where tumbling around the tank

then I tried to plant it in the gravel, problem: my fish uprooted them all, so then I tried to bury 1/4 of the plant in the gravel, problem it started to rot and decay.

The Idea:

attached are some images to give you a better idea then I can explain but I will still try, using some old parts from a broken canister filter, 1 X suction cup with pipe mount, 1 x inch pipe cut off part of the canister filters piping, and a bit of aquarium tubing, I cut the tubing open so it could grip the plant loosely but still grip, threaded it through the pipe and around the elodea weed, fixed the suction cups mount to the pipe and now I can stick my live plants where ever I wont in my tank.

HeatherB
07-25-2010, 12:57 PM
That's an awesome idea! I never would have thought of that!

DrNic
07-25-2010, 01:19 PM
That should work. If you can get a second suction cup setup you can put the plants down on the bottom edge. The plants will then sent up vertical shoots which looks great!

SkipW
07-25-2010, 01:34 PM
I have those same plants but my fish don't dig them up too often. I'd try the same thing but attach them so the roots will grow into the substrate. If they grow anything like mine, they'll be growing across the top in a week.
Great idea! thumbs2:

Lady Hobbs
07-25-2010, 01:50 PM
If you would fill your tank to the top and use a pre-filter on your filter stem you would not get so much splash and movement of the plants.

aussie114
07-25-2010, 05:58 PM
thanks for your ideas and comments I have them vertically now near to the substrate, with my filter set up I have a 1100LPH internal and a 1400LPH power head connected to an under gravel filter, I don't think anything i do would stop the high current.