PDA

View Full Version : Help! I've just discovered I have baby goldfish!

Debra from Hull
07-25-2010, 08:46 AM
We have a pond 5 x 5 x 5 feet. We have five adult goldfish but have now discovered that a further 5 babies! They're about an inch long.

Do I have to separate them from the adults now or give them any special food? I currently feed the adults on the pellet type of food.

HeatherB
07-25-2010, 12:59 PM
If they have gotten to an inch long- they are finding food somewhere- the pond is full of microorganisms and such. You could try some flake food in the pond- or lightly crushing a pellet or two.

If you had an extra tank you could I suppose scoop them up and keep them there until they grow a little. Depending on how large your other goldfish are, they may not eat them. Goldfish can throw bazillions of eggs, so these are the ones that did not get eaten.

VoidParadigm
07-25-2010, 02:13 PM
I say just leave them in there. In the wild, afterall, goldfish have managed to flourish in some places, and they really are just domesticated carp. There are plenty of bugs and algae in your water most likely, and that is truly a much better food for the baby goldfish than anything you could go buy at the local fish shop.

Lady Hobbs
07-25-2010, 02:17 PM
Agree with void. The others will keep your population down but some will escape to grow up.

FishGirl-Seattle
07-27-2010, 03:23 AM
Congratulations to the happy parents! thumbs2: