PDA

View Full Version : Moving?

dnphillips08
07-25-2010, 03:20 AM
I have to move tomorrow, what is the best way to move my Betta, plants, and tank?

SkipW
07-25-2010, 03:31 AM
Nothing like waiting until the last minute... :hmm3grin2orange:

How far are you going, or how long before you can get your tank set up again?

For the fish (1 fish I assume), put it in a container, add a couple of drops of Prime and it should be good for a few days. Plants... in a container with enough water to keep the roots wet. The tricky part is going to be your filter and media if you want to keep the BB. I would put the media in a bucket of tank water, add some fish food and you might get lucky.

rich311k
07-25-2010, 03:33 AM
Put the fish and plants in a bucket, keep you filter media and gravel wet. Set it back up when you get there. You should be fine. Good luck on the move.

dnphillips08
07-25-2010, 12:16 PM
I'm moving a whole whopping mile and a half haha and yes its only one fish and a five gallon tank. Would it be okay to reduce the amount of water and take it that way? I've read a 5 galllon is only about 50 lbs so not too bad.

SkipW
07-25-2010, 01:26 PM
As long as you don't break the tank, you'll be fine. Take half (or 2/3) the water out so you can carry it and transport without it spilling everywhere. Use some of the tank water to put into a container or bucket with your filter media submersed in it. This will keep the BB alive. A few hours and you shouldn't have any problems. Add fresh water and dechlorinator when you set it back up.

Lady Hobbs
07-25-2010, 02:50 PM
I'm moving a whole whopping mile and a half haha and yes its only one fish and a five gallon tank. Would it be okay to reduce the amount of water and take it that way? I've read a 5 galllon is only about 50 lbs so not too bad.

O problem.

funkman262
07-25-2010, 04:15 PM
Let us know how it goes. I wish I only had a 5g tank to move. I'll be moving a 45g, 29g, 10g SW, and 5g in the next couple days with a total of 30 or so fish. I'll be doing what rich and skip suggested for all of the tanks.

dnphillips08
07-26-2010, 07:22 AM
So we'll be moving the tank tomorrow, forgot there won't be electricity until monday :doh: Is it normal for a Betta to hang out on the bottom of the tank? I put in two Java ferns and it seems he enjoys to hang out by it or under one of it's leaves. Not only that he hangs out in the upper corners of the tank (usually the one opposite of the filter). Is that normal? :shrug:

dnphillips08
08-05-2010, 06:42 AM
Well I got everything moved (finally got internet again). I think my Betta handled everything alright, but he's developed a weird bump near his Caudal fin. I went to the LFS and one of the employees said it is probably from the stress of cycling and being moved. (He also said doing daily water changes like I was doing would prolong the cycling process?) But from what I can tell my Betta is doing well.
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/4482/gtarosearching.jpg (http://img228.imageshack.us/i/gtarosearching.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)