PDA

View Full Version : Killer Tank NEED HELP!!!

tjweis
07-25-2010, 02:14 AM
I have recently set up a 10g tank and the fish keep dying. My ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels are low every time I check them. PH is between 7.2 and 7.4. I have treated the fish for ick shortly after I introduce them. the last 2 fish i bought to put in the aquarium were dwarf gourami. I cant seem to keep fish. I have a 5.5 gallon that i set up to quarantine fish before introducing them into the 10 gallon. it currently has 2 plecos and a albino red fin shark. they seem to be doing fine. ammonia and all that always read 0 or the 1 color above on the test kits color charts. i had 3 rocks that i took from outdoors but i boiled them twice for 20+ minutes.

Pele
07-25-2010, 02:20 AM
Well one colour above (wich i assume is .26ppm) Is still too hight. also what kind of plecos do you have? If theyre the common variety then they get way to big. infact pretty much any pleco is unsuitable for a 10 gallon. same with the red fin shark and two dwarf gourami. What kind of filtration do you have?
Whats the temperature?

tori.lock
07-25-2010, 02:38 AM
There are a few things wrong about this set up.

1. You should never have ANY ammonia or nitrite readings, and I believe that nitrates should be around 10ppm.
2. Two dwarf gouramis are bad in a 10g. Treat them like you would treat bettas. They are good with non-nipping, non-labyrinth fish.
3. There is no pleco suitable for a 10g. The smallest plecos I know of are rubber lip or BN, and both of those have, in my books, a minimum of 20g.
4. The shark will get too big as well.

What other fish do you have in there right now, what kind of fish have died?

On a side note, avoid boiling rocks. They can have air trapped inside them, and the heat can make that expand, which can actually explode the rock. It's better to just pour some boiling water over it (heats the surface, but isn't enough to heat it to the core), or scrub it with a mild bleach mixture.

tjweis
07-25-2010, 02:51 AM
They're common plecos, those 3 fish still living are all babies and I am moving in six months and plan on buying a 55+ tank. Not sure If I will move the fish with me or find them new homes. But at this rate they'll be dead. I am a college student and graduate in December. I decided to buy the tank because I used to love my tank when I was a kid. According to the 1" per gallon my tank back then was overstocked but I never had a problem with fish dying. It was a while ago buy I probably had 15-20 inches of fish in a 10 gallon tank. ive already removed everything from this tank and boiled it once. i keep it clean and dont overfeed it. The nitrite and ammonia are always 0ppm, i checked it once and it appeared to be a little darker than 0 ppm but it wasnt as dark as .25ppm so i assume it was about halfway between. I put about half a tsp of stress zyme and checked it later that day and it was fine. I checked everything today when i noticed my last dead fish in the 10g and everything was 0 ph was 7.2-7.4.

from what i can tell new tank syndrome only has to do with high ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels. ive treated the tank with coppersafe in an attempt to kill any protozoans but the fish didnt have any white spots. i also treated them with quick cure when i brought them home.

tjweis
07-25-2010, 02:56 AM
I had two mollies and a green spotted puffer. I was going to turn the tank into a brackish aquarium once the puffers started to grow. i read that small puffers like freshwater and as they become adults they need brackish water.

SkipW
07-25-2010, 04:00 AM
What do you use to dechlorinate the water with?
What kind of test kit do you have? Test Strips or Liquid. The test strips are not that reliable.
Water temp?
Does anyone use cleaning chemicals around the tank?
Is your tank cycled?
What is your nitrate reading?
How often do you do water changes and how much?

Lady Hobbs
07-25-2010, 04:24 AM
The problem is that you have put fish into an uncycled 10 gallon which gets far more toxic than larger tanks. Smaller tanks, especially, should be cycled before fish are added to them but if you can't do that, then bacteria boosters, a "couple" fish and several water changes are needed. When those fish have cycled the tank, then a couple more fish can then be added.

You have also purchased fish not suitable for a 10 gallon. No pleco's should be in any tank until the tank is established and had time to cycle and grow some algae to feed them. Pleco's get a foot long and even a 55 would be iffy for one much less two. A red tail shark is also too large for a 10 gallon.

Read the cycling threads in my signature. I would also buy no more fish until the tank is cycled and research more to find fish suitable for the tank size you have.

Sursion
07-25-2010, 04:58 AM
Every fish you listed is not suitable for a 10g.

Well, a dwarf gourami can. But not two of them, like what you did. A red tail shark get's 5-6 inches big.

Ashley
07-25-2010, 02:23 PM
Overall, I think you need to rethink your stocking. Take back the fish that get huge, start with something hardy that can handle the changing ammonia levels a little better. Maybe try a schooling fish. make sure to research everything first, buy later. The information profiles on fish here are very good, and usually give you a minimum tank size. I had two common plecos in the past and unless you have a huuuge tank, they really do limit your stocking options. I ended up taking mine to the petstore and got a rubberlip instead. The commons are very cute, but you have to take into consideration what's good for them in the long run.

raulfd4
07-25-2010, 05:32 PM
ive treated the tank with coppersafe in an attempt to kill any protozoans but the fish didnt have any white spots. i also treated them with quick cure when i brought them home.

Why are you treating for diseases that aren't visibly present? If these fish are juveniles, introducing them to water filled with medications and other extra chemicals could also be adding to your troubles.

tjweis
07-25-2010, 06:20 PM
thanks for the help.

tori.lock
07-25-2010, 07:50 PM
Your puffer could be killing them. Puffers are usually suitable only for species only tanks. Green spotted puffers are also brackish and will die if kept in freshwater long term.

EDIT: Re-read that post and saw the puffer has already died. If he was the last tod ie, he could have been killing the fish and then died from the freshwater. I understand that green spot puffers require brackish their whole lives.