PDA

View Full Version : Sick Paradise Gourami

Denorios
06-08-2007, 10:16 PM
Yesterday I noticed a red spot on my Paradise Gourami. Then this morning I noticed more spots on both sides at various places all over the Gourami's body. Now she’s almost completely white except for the spots, and she’s lethargic. The spots are under scales, they look kind of like blood blisters under the skin. All the other fish look fine. Does anyone have any ideas what’s going on?

cocoa_pleco
06-08-2007, 10:50 PM
hemorrhagic septicemia. It targets the fishes blood vessels and eventually kills the heart. If its left untreated, the fish gets a slow painful death.

You can try treating it, but sorry to say he may be a goner. I lost a cichlid to this disease before, not fun

Denorios
06-08-2007, 10:56 PM
Any idea what causes it? I'm not finding a lot about it online? What did you use to treat it? How concerned do I need to be about it spreading to the rest of my tank? Th discription I found online sounds exactly like what Fiji has...

gm72
06-10-2007, 06:30 PM
Bacterial infection in the bloodstream. Treat with antibiotics, but honestly as far along as you describe you may want to consider euthanization. Treatment is only effective if intervention occurs immediately upon diagnosis.

cocoa_pleco
06-10-2007, 07:42 PM
yeah, treatments are basically pointless. hes a goner sadly. I thought my cichlid would make it, then he wouldnt eat and got lethargic so i had to put him out before his heart went

Denorios
06-12-2007, 07:02 PM
Thanks for the advice. You were both correct, and she didn't make it. I was actually researching the most humane ways to Euthanize her, but she died before I had decided on a course of action. I'd had her since I got back into the hobby over a year ago so it was really tough...