PDA

View Full Version : Heat in Planted tanks

Trillianne
07-24-2010, 09:11 PM
I'm a bit curious as to how important is heat in a planted tank.

I know that next month there are significant odds I will be getting a bigger tank, but my current tank is a bit jungle-y and am wondering if I can keep a plant or two submerged in a small 3 gallon hex without killing them off. Sadly I do not at present have a heater that will fit in my tiny hex.

If not I'll find some spot for it in the main tank.

SkipW
07-24-2010, 09:16 PM
As long as it didn't get too cold.... under 50 degrees????... I have no idea. I would think they would do fine as long as they got enough light and nutrients.

Jacko
07-24-2010, 09:25 PM
Alot of plants actually prefer cooler water, too warm and it can kill them or cause their growth to slow... I'd say it depends on what types you want to keep, but most should be fine

Trillianne
07-24-2010, 10:12 PM
Oh good! I hadn't read anything that was specific to temp so I figured I'd ask :ssmile:

DrNic
07-24-2010, 11:13 PM
Most aquarium plants aren't bothered that much by cooler temps. When I was big in plant trading I had 2 20G farm tanks growing without heaters. They were usually around 70*F and the plants grew like weeds!

SpyderSpy6
07-26-2010, 03:25 PM
When I moved apartments I kept all my plants in buckets of water for a couple days without a heater and they all made it just fine. I actually put the buckets up in the windows during the day to give them some light, which may have also warmed the water but I didn't check it.