PDA

View Full Version : Low-Medium Light Background Plant

tori.lock
07-24-2010, 08:19 AM
I'm looking for a plant to fill in one big naked spot on the background of my tank. For appearance, I'd like to be a plant with more smaller leaves, opposed to a plat with fewer, but larger leaves. I already have anubias, java fern, two crypt species and some vals, so I want something that will add a little more variety, and supple a bit better of a hiding place for the embers.

Currently I'm thinking a low-light friendly hygro species. I was browsing aquabid and saw a plant called cyperus helferi that I liked the look of, too. I want to stay away from hornswort and water wisteria because of the mess factor. (Heard hornswork sheds like crazy, and I'd rather have a rooted plant than one I'd have to have tied down) and after trying wisteria and having all the bottom leaves die off, I'm not going to bother with that again.

SunSchein89
07-24-2010, 12:47 PM
Hygrophilia compacta may work. Gives you lots of leaves, spreads out pretty nicely, and is easy to grow. I've had good success with it in my 5.5, and I'm going to try it out in my 10 here shortly as well.

SkipW
07-24-2010, 02:06 PM
If your lighting leans more towards medium, you may like Ludwiga. I had some with a red and green color and it really looked nice. Unfortunately I didn't have enough light to support it at the time, but thinking about trying it again.

Lady Hobbs
07-24-2010, 03:03 PM
I just removed the hygro from my tank because it was 3ft tall. Your tank is only a 10 gallon and you don't want plants that grow 2 ft tall. How about a bit of Wisteria and keeping it pruned down?

Background plants are great but you have to keep in mind the size of your tank.

MCHRKiller
07-24-2010, 04:52 PM
Rotala rotundifolia would be a good choice, it also gets a nice pink in good lighting :22:

tori.lock
07-26-2010, 02:40 AM
Do all hygro species grow that large? Or would it be possible to keep it cut shorter, or would that be detrimental to its health? Most plants if you cut back on their height, they get bushier, which is what I'm looking for.

I like the looks of ludwiga and rotalia, though. I'll see what's healthy at the LFS.

MCHRKiller
07-26-2010, 03:34 AM
You can keep any of the stems trimmed...they wont mind and most will infact grow bushier if you keep up on trimming them. I have hygro in my 10G that does very well...probably a bit too well. :22:

tori.lock
07-26-2010, 08:58 AM
Do you think that hygrophila siamensis would work in my aquarium?

I probably should have initially posted my wattage. I have a two 15watt incandescent hood, but I replaced the incandescent with the appropriate CFL bulbs. I have fert tabs that I put in were the plants are concentrated, and I'm considering running some Co2 through the tank.