PDA

View Full Version : Aquarium Mold/fungi

Jlorenzo
07-24-2010, 01:01 AM
I have a 55 gal that i cycled with mainly algae pellets. A couple of times I let them sit in there too long and they would grow this off white/bauge fuzz. I cleaned the tank out real well and did a 50% change before adding fish. It seemed to be okay but once i put driftwood and live plants in the fuzz was back growing on almost all surfaces in the tank. I ended up exing the driftwood because it grew the most on that. any food particle left on the substrate by the next day are fuzz balls. I dont know what to do. it looks almost like a coating of dust on my rocks plants and substrate. I soaked all my rocks and plants in diluted bleach several times and scrubbed the tank out several tiems only to have it eventually return. I figure its gotta be living in the filter, i cleaned the filter except for the main sponge because I didnt want to restart the cycle but Im thinking I may have to clean the filter and then take a seeded piece of media from one of my other tanks. Im getting real tired of this, also when the fuzz really starts going my leopard cntenopoma definatly breathes harder and faster.

Any Ideas?

rangur1
07-25-2010, 11:15 AM
there is a lot going on in your tank that i'm not totally certain of. but based on the info you provided, you are having major phosphate levels.

" food left over on bottom is covered with fuzz next day" --you are overfeeding. high nitrate/phosphate levels will yeild to blooms of algae/fungi/cyanobacteria.

perform 30% water changes 3x for a week. if you are not already, use a python siphon to vacumn detritus from gravel. if you have activated carbon in your filter--ditch it. carbon also contributes to phosphates.

let us know how it goes, good luckthumbs2:

Aeonflame
07-25-2010, 11:25 AM
I think it would be a good idea to post your parameters here so the members could have more information to help you better

Jlorenzo
07-25-2010, 09:12 PM
I did try a root fertilizer tab that caused all this brown algae on the glass but I was having the fuzz problem before that.
Ammonia-0
nitrite-0
nitrate- around 20 (I test before I do water changes )
I have sand substrate (which i think I used too much of) so I have been slowly sucking out layers of sand. I havent been running carbon until just recently so ill stop that. I am currently running one Aquaclear 70 I have a topfin 40 that quit working that was also on the tank.

smaug
07-25-2010, 09:19 PM
I would go out on a limb here and say your tank isnt really cycled.The "mold" is cyano bacteria and no food should be left in a tank overnight.What type test kit?How many fish and what types are in this tank?How long has this tank been in operation?

Jlorenzo
07-27-2010, 03:41 AM
tanks has been goin for 7 monts 1 seneal bichir, 1 leopard cntenopoma annd one african knife. pretty sure its cycled. test kit is api

smaug
07-27-2010, 09:50 AM
How long has it had fish in it? That's not a heavy bioload really.might need better circulation,perhaps a powerhead would be a good idea.

alairellis23
07-27-2010, 10:38 AM
If the mold is bacteria based or is a form of algae, you'll need to improve your water quality by stronger filtration or more frequent water changes. You can start by vacuming your gravel and then doing a 25% water change. Be sure to condition the water you put back in.

gm72
07-27-2010, 10:43 AM
The water conditions aren't likely very good if you have this problem. Like Smaug I'm not 100% confident that you are fully cycled even though it has been up and running for several months. The fish breathing harder and faster is stress, your fish are suffering.

What are your current water parameters for nitrIte, nitrAte, and ammonia, please?