PDA

View Full Version : My fish got stuck in the filter Please help

born2blove
07-23-2010, 10:08 PM
I got Eclipse 3 hub and fluval 205 run in 30G tank.
I got my Guppy for 2 weeks.
Last night after work I got home and see 1 of my guppy stuck on the filter, I remove hom out but to0 late he die last night.

Also I got 6 neon tetra last night.
this morning I see one of them get stuck in to the filter.

Please help me how to guard this filter to stop kill the fish

thnak you

Lab_Rat
07-23-2010, 10:14 PM
Unless you have a ridiculously strong filter a healthy fish should not get stuck. The fish was probably already weak/dying or dead before it got stuck to the filter.

Scrup
07-23-2010, 10:15 PM
Are they stuck on the outside or getting sucked inside the filter?

Lady Hobbs
07-23-2010, 10:19 PM
Agree with Lab. They are dead and the filter is picking them up.

cichlids209
07-23-2010, 10:20 PM
if it was just so small that it got sucked up then you could put a prefilter sponge on the intake but i agree if its healthy it shouldn't get sucked up

born2blove
07-23-2010, 11:00 PM
It is healthy fish, but small.
it stuck outside.
watter test perfect with ACI master kit.
where I can get prefilter sponge ?

thank you

cichlids209
07-23-2010, 11:08 PM
i have used the aquaclear brand sponges for prefilters they work great

Glyn
07-23-2010, 11:09 PM
Ive had the same problem with my Aquaclear 70's. I have had a variety of fish get stuck and eventually die on the intake. All of the fish have seemed to do it on the first or second night. It only seems to happen at night.

What I did was I bought a Aquaclear sponge and cut it down and cut a hole big enough for my intake to fit on the end. I figure that that would cut down the strength of the intake and sort of pre filter out some of the larger debris. I also watched to see if it would affect the flow of the water coming out, it didn't seem to.

So far I haven't had any further problems. Good Luck!

promise
07-23-2010, 11:13 PM
i agree with the comments posted already, a healthy fish will be able to propel itself away from the suction current, good idea to go with some filter sponge around the intake pipe.
i had some neons in a tank with a AC 110 and the little guys didn't even flinch with the current they just swam through it and didn't get sucked up

born2blove
07-24-2010, 02:07 AM
thank you all you guy help
I just got home on more neon die.
I go to buy AquaClear Foam Filter at petsmart

BIO-Linist
07-24-2010, 02:28 AM
Unless you have a ridiculously strong filter a healthy fish should not get stuck. The fish was probably already weak/dying or dead before it got stuck to the filter.
Actually the Eclipse3 IS a ridiculously strong filter. I had guppies in a 29 gallon Eclipse tank and they kept dying until I unplugged the filter. The current is just too much for guppies, and they die from exhaustion.

jclee
07-24-2010, 03:11 AM
Ive had the same problem with my Aquaclear 70's. I have had a variety of fish get stuck and eventually die on the intake. All of the fish have seemed to do it on the first or second night. It only seems to happen at night.

What I did was I bought a Aquaclear sponge and cut it down and cut a hole big enough for my intake to fit on the end. I figure that that would cut down the strength of the intake and sort of pre filter out some of the larger debris. I also watched to see if it would affect the flow of the water coming out, it didn't seem to.

So far I haven't had any further problems. Good Luck!

I had the same filter, same problem, same solution. There are just some filters that are pretty powerful, not to mention that the aquaclears seem to have abnormally large slits on the intake that a smaller fish can easily fit through.

Excellence
07-24-2010, 12:26 PM
I too had this problem last year. 6 cardinal tetras sucked against the filter intake, udring the night. An expensive loss as they weren't cheap. Bought another 6, keot the lights on at night because I thought they couldn't see where they were going. In ones and twos, still happened.

That was when I bought larger fish. It's a pity... 12 fish, you have responsibility for their lives, you know. Fish keeping should not be done lightly.

jclee
07-24-2010, 01:03 PM
12 fish, you have responsibility for their lives, you know. Fish keeping should not be done lightly.

Accidents can happen. It sounds like the OP already feels pretty bad about it.

Try modifying the intake with filter foam, and let us know how it goes.

born2blove
07-24-2010, 06:42 PM
Thank You all
I am done my filter with Aquaclear sponge, i did it yesterday seam like every thing ok now.