PDA

View Full Version : selling my fish.

Australian natives
07-23-2010, 03:14 PM
so i have a barra, and a silver perch, and i have decided that i am going to sell my barramundi, and possibly my perch, and basically start my tank form scratch, (new plants, new driftwood, new substrate, no underground filter, a good canister filter, etc etc.) and i figure it would be easier to do this if i don't have to worry about the barra and perch dying due to me killing the BB. it will be much easier if i can drain the whole thing.

so anyway my question is, what is the best way for me to pass these fish on to a new owner?
will the pet-shop buy them form me? or will they expect me to give them to them for free? (which i will do if need be)
is it easy to sell fish to other keepers? also is it worth the hassle?
they are both about 4-5inches long. although they will probably be bigger when i decide to pass them on.

thnx

rothenb1
07-23-2010, 05:00 PM
You can take the fish to a locally owned fish store. Chain store usually won't take fish (PetSmart, PetCo, Pet Supplies Plus). The LFS may give you some money for them, if they're really common probably not.

irob
07-23-2010, 07:40 PM
I had to get rid of some very large and I'm guessing expensive fish when I purchased a used aquarium. I tried 3 privately owned fish stores who would not give me anything for them but they would happily take them for free (and resell them)

I ended up posting most of them on Craigslist. I had to get rid of them fast (do to the lady I purchased the aquarium from trying to be nice by cleaning the filter for me :banghead: ) so I gave them away for free but if I had more time I probably could have made some money from them.

If you are in a good Craigslist town, try to post some nice pictures of the fish and put some key words in your ad like "aquarium, cichilds, fishtank" so people will find it. It might take a week or so but you may have some luck.

Australian natives
07-24-2010, 01:09 AM
sounds like a plan.
ill have a look at how craigslist works now then.
thnx

Demjor19
07-24-2010, 01:24 AM
Where are you located? Here in the states those fish can fetch a good buck! I'm assuming you are from another country?

Australian natives
07-24-2010, 03:01 AM
yeah i am from australia, they are natives here =P. but i got him for 12 bucks a couple of months ago, and he has grown from 6cm to about 14cm (2.4 inch - 5.5 inch) was gonna keep him till about 10 inches. but i rushed into the whole thing so i wanna start from scratch and get everything right.

Sursion
07-24-2010, 03:16 AM
I'm sure you can sell them (or at the very least, donate them) to an LFS. The place where I live as two tanks specifically for extra large stock that people bring in. I've seen Bala Sharks and Pleco's the size of my forearm in there.

Edit: Oh! And my other LFS has a massive 400 gallon tank as their display. They put very large fish in that one. Either fish that grow too large in the selling tanks, or ones that are donated. There's a massive 30" silver arowana in there that's over 10 years old.

Australian natives
07-24-2010, 03:58 AM
yeh at the pet centre and pet barn they have a few huge tanks. they even have a tank with barra about 4inches long, or they did anyway. i think they were selling them for like $35 or so.
they had an awesome tank with 2 fully grown peacock bass in it for a while. but i think they were just looking after them for someone.
atm petbarn has a 50cm mangrove jack which is pretty rad.
i would love to get one of those. but id need a much bigger aquarium.
the thing is though i would like to get a little bit of money from this fish. so that i can use it to buy new ones. maybe ill ask for a store credit or something in exchange for him. im thinking my next fish will be a bass. maybe 2.

Jasper
08-30-2010, 09:20 PM
I found some great fish on Craig's List (http://craigslist.org/). You could try that.

Australian natives
08-31-2010, 01:53 AM
i cant seem to find an australian craigslist =P.
and i have already sold the barra =]. now i am just gonna keep the silverperch till i am ready to sell it. and then ill remodel the tank, and restock. so far i am thinking of a pair of firemouths and some yoyo loach.

thnx for the suggestion though =].

Bretzz
08-31-2010, 02:06 AM
Australian Craigslist:

http://geo.craigslist.org/iso/au

Pleco380
08-31-2010, 05:13 AM
I've taken my fish to the LFS but they didn't give me anything. Now I sell fish on kijiji. Even small ones that will eventually get bigger I try to get 2 bucks and yeah I got 8 bucks total. But I'm pretty sure kijiji is canadian so I'd go with craigslist if I were you.

Australian natives
08-31-2010, 10:08 AM
oh. thanks for the link =].
and yeah my pet store gives me 1 third of what they will sell it for. so they rip me off, but at least they are honest =P. also it is a good place to take them if i need to pass them on in a hurry i suppose.

aquamanlr
10-08-2010, 05:32 PM
Here in the states about 1/3 is a good rate. Sometimes a little more if you are a good customer.

aquamanlr

Piscine
10-08-2010, 09:36 PM
yeah my pet store gives me 1 third of what they will sell it for. so they rip me off, but at least they are honest =P.

I think 1/3 is more than fair, considering the risks involved if the fish doesn't sell. :11:

Aude
10-08-2010, 10:42 PM
I would suggest craigslist, as well. Maybe even aquabid? You can always specify pickup only if you don't want to deal with shipping.