PDA

View Full Version : Bored fish?

Jeddi
07-23-2010, 04:41 AM
I know that some of the more intelligent fish like larger cichlids can get bored easily, but what about smaller ones? I remember reading up on puffers, and that they can get bored easily and just run up and down the glass all the time... Well, that's what my dwarf gourami does ever since I got him. He either hides under my dwarf lily's leaves at the top of my tank or swim against the aquarium glass... So, is he "bored" per se or is this just something I should expect?

Sursion
07-23-2010, 07:12 AM
All of my fish usually go through a period of pacing up and down when I first get them. But it usually subsides after a while. Except for my Kuhli Loaches. They are damn hyper! I've never thought of it as boredom.

Australian natives
07-23-2010, 07:14 AM
same for me, all my fish did it for a while.

Jeddi
07-23-2010, 09:35 PM
Well I've had him for about 2 months now :fish: I'm thinking he might like more stuff to explore

smaug
07-23-2010, 09:38 PM
My fish went through that for awhile but now they just sit around drink beer and smoke incessantly:14:

Jeddi
07-23-2010, 09:44 PM
My fish went through that for awhile but now they just sit around drink beer and smoke incessantly:14:
sounds like some nice fish :hmm3grin2orange:

FishGirl-Seattle
07-23-2010, 09:45 PM
How do they keep the beer cold?

smaug
07-23-2010, 09:54 PM
How do they keep the beer cold?
Really!!!!!?? There tropicals,there used to room temp beer.:hmm3grin2orange:

Lady Hobbs
07-23-2010, 10:00 PM

:22:

Jeddi......fish do not have a brain that knows emotion. They do not feel boredom, love, hate, jealousy or any other emotion humans do.

They eat, swim, poop and spawn. That's their life. Happy for them is some blood worms and a water change.

Cichlids are more personable because they recognize us as their food source when community fish aren't even that smart.

Pele
07-24-2010, 06:32 AM
:22:

Jeddi......fish do not have a brain that knows emotion. They do not feel boredom, love, hate, jealousy or any other emotion humans do.

They eat, swim, poop and spawn. That's their life. Happy for them is some blood worms and a water change.

Cichlids are more personable because they recognize us as their food source when community fish aren't even that smart.
Well yes they don't feel what we commonly associate as boredom, but I do belive that a lack of stimulant to provide destractions from other fish and fins could cause aggressive behavior and fin nipping

Pele
07-24-2010, 06:34 AM
ah that's nothing. Mine started calling me old man and would stay out past curfew with their girlfriends. Before I knew it one of my guppies dropped out of it's school and came home with 50 odd fry

aussie114
07-24-2010, 12:09 PM
My comets pace up and down the same corner of there tank every morning waiting for me to get up and feed them.

Excellence
07-24-2010, 12:55 PM
My late dwarf gourami, for a couple days, discovered he could swim a circle around one of my amazon broad leaves. It was funny to watch, like it was a serious achievement for him. And his vertical body didn't allow for smooth circles. He had to swim round, slow, turn, and swim round again.

sheamurai
07-24-2010, 01:01 PM
My dwarf gourami used to pace incessantly back and forth along the length of the tank - and did it every day he was in the tank.
Pacing along the tank is ok - but I tend to beleive that if a fish paces top to bottom of the tank, with his nose to the glass, that it might be a sign of water parameters going bad...

one of my guppies dropped out of it's school and came home with 50 odd fry LOL!