PDA

View Full Version : pond keepers, have you seen these?

Brhino
07-23-2010, 03:34 AM
Stumbled onto this today, I think they're pretty cool.
http://www.addasphere.com/

They're water-filled spheres that stick up above the water, so the fish can swim up into them and see the world around them. It's like when you go to an aquarium that has a walk-in protrusion into the water, only it's for the fish instead of you.

Scrup
07-23-2010, 05:33 AM
Very interesting. Have seen it done on fish tanks (youtube search for open bottom tank), but never in a sphere and never upside down.

Interesting, if not way overpriced for an acrylic dome and some legs. The installation video cracks me up. Total home made video.

Thanks, now I will spend my night thinking of ways to DIY...lol

Some of these quotes are priceless....-

" The Add-A-Sphere® truly magnifies your fish inside the sphere for spectacular viewing. Please be careful this is explained in the manual along with not putting the sphere over your head or misusing this product. "

"Can frogs or turtles use the sphere? Yes, but they will die if the air pocket is still in the top of the sphere"

Sursion
07-23-2010, 07:09 AM
That is fantastic! I love all the new gadjets that are coming out now-a-days.

Here's my personal favourite http://www.geekologie.com/2008/02/01/cool-aquarium.jpg

Australian natives
07-23-2010, 07:20 AM
that sphere tank would be a huge pain to clean =P

Sursion
07-23-2010, 07:26 AM
I'm not even sure how you water change it. But I love the concept of it.

Aeonflame
07-23-2010, 12:09 PM
Same concept as the bottomless tanks. I would think this would have some serious algae issues though.. little flow and sunlight from all around... hmmm

tori.lock
07-23-2010, 04:38 PM
I think it could be really neat, and you wouldn't have a big algea problem if you put it in a shaded area of the pond. I just checked out the picture, but I imagine that it wouldn't be too hard to remove and wipe out occasionally. The only thing I'm thinking about is if you have a pond, you'll have big fish, and I don't see many pond fish fitting in there.

Rue
07-23-2010, 04:44 PM
I quite like those! Pretty! Even if the fish don`t use them...it`s still pretty!

toddnbecka
07-23-2010, 04:56 PM
I'd bet money there was food floating at the top of the sphere to get the fish in there for the video. It's a neat idea, but not many fish would be comfortable swimming up there and being exposed. It goes against their instincts.

Scrup
07-23-2010, 05:10 PM
22" sphere (the largest size) would fit most goldfish.

they come with a feeder attachment to put floating food into the bowl so the fish will swim into it.

Agree it would make a pretty neat addition just visually, with or without fish. Just gotta watch out for the magnifying glass effect, otherwise it can burn a hole in your liner or start your lawn on fire.