PDA

View Full Version : On the removal of fish

Pele
07-22-2010, 05:12 AM
Now, when I was out of town a few months ago, a few fish (guppy, platy, and clown pleco) went " missing". Cut to three months later, I now have a gbr and a bn pleco (my tank can definatly take the bioload.) now tonight it turns out my clown pleco realy was just missing. Now I'm relativly sure that it won't overstock the tank, but he's just dead weight polluting water now. I'm also worried that two plecos together could cause issues. Now what I'm wondering is if I need to remove this clown pleco, and if so, how?

Scrup
07-22-2010, 03:29 PM
You have a BN and a clown pleco is what I am reading. It would depend on the size of the tank and the individual fish. If there is no agression and enough room for them to both grow up, there should be no problems.

As far as the dead weight comment, you should not have a pleco to serve a purpose such as cleaning the tank. They are just like any other fish, neat to look at (and plecos do have some funny personalities if you are lucky enough to have one that lets you see it.) but by no means should you get them with the sole reason of serving a purpose, unless that purpose is to look cool. They are not employees or servants. They are pets.

If you just don't want two pleco's thats cool too. The best way I have found to move a small pleco is with a tupperware dish big enough for them to fit in. Chase them into it with a net. If you bump the nose gently, they will usually move. Be careful not to net them, as they can really hurt themselves and your net.

Once in the dish I pour them into a one gallon ziplock baggie, doubled up, sometimes tripled, with LOTS of water in it. this goes against normal fish transport as you usually want lots of air and the minimum amount of water, but with lots of water, the bag expands, reducing the chances of them shredding through it.

Of course if your guy is small enough (under 6"), its not that big a deal and you could go with a much smaller amount of water. If you are transporting him a good ways make sure to keep an eye on him to see if he is getting enough air.

Lady Hobbs
07-22-2010, 03:34 PM
Are you saying your clown come up missing months ago when you took a trip and you only just today found him? Sorry but it doesn't sound as you looked for him very hard.

Northernguy
07-22-2010, 04:58 PM
I am surprised you haven't seen the pleco while cleaning the tank!A few months is a long time.

How is it dead weight?If its alive and swimming it shouldn't be a problem.
Install a moonlight/nightlight so you can see them in the evenings.

Sursion
07-22-2010, 06:17 PM
I don't understand what you're trying to ask. How does a clown pleco go missing for several months? If he did die, he probably decomposed in that amount of time.

Lady Hobbs
07-22-2010, 06:30 PM
It didn't die. It's there in his tank where it's been the last 3 months, in invisible mode.

rich311k
07-22-2010, 06:40 PM
Could be it has that new stealth technology. As long as you have multiple hiding places the two plecos should do fine together.

Pele
07-22-2010, 07:34 PM
Ok, by dead weight ( although that was probrably not the best phrasing) I meant I never see him. I've checked all over my tank before too and I wasn't able to find him. I was just worried that it would cause problems.

smaug
07-22-2010, 08:59 PM
Apparently your tank doesn't suit the clown very well or you would see more of him. Either that or you are spending such precious little time observing them that a foot long oscar could have beamed in from outer space and ate him,then pooped him out alive then beamed back to planet oscaria or uranus. Silly boy.

cichlids209
07-22-2010, 09:06 PM
lmao this post is hilarious that is weird how the heck could you not find a pleco for 3 months ?

Lady Hobbs
07-22-2010, 09:22 PM
Your Honor, I now rest my case.

tori.lock
07-22-2010, 09:59 PM
I'm almost a little annoyed by the forum that no one has decided the answer this person's question, which I'm assuming is, can they keep a clown and a BN pleco together.

I don't know the answer because I don't know much about plecos, but what size tank is it? Is it big enough for them both to establish their own territory? Have you seen any aggression between them? What's your water like? What kind of water changes do you do?

Lady Hobbs
07-22-2010, 10:03 PM
His question was how to remove the pleco and that was answered by the first person.

rich311k
07-22-2010, 10:08 PM
He was also told they should be ok together.

smaug
07-22-2010, 10:19 PM
I'm almost a little annoyed by the forum that no one has decided the answer this person's question, which I'm assuming is, can they keep a clown and a BN pleco together.

I don't know the answer because I don't know much about plecos, but what size tank is it? Is it big enough for them both to establish their own territory? Have you seen any aggression between them? What's your water like? What kind of water changes do you do?
The question was answered satisfactorialy in scrups first sentence of his post.
You have a BN and a clown pleco is what I am reading. It would depend on the size of the tank and the individual fish. If there is no agression and enough room for them to both grow up, there should be no problems.

As for the rest of the replys,,,,,,,,,,,,well,,,,,,it is Pele,,,,,,,,nuff said:sconfused:

Pele
07-22-2010, 10:56 PM
What are you saying? :shifty:

Northernguy
07-22-2010, 11:51 PM
What are you saying? :shifty:
What are you asking?:hmm3grin2orange:

smaug
07-23-2010, 12:03 AM
What are you asking?:hmm3grin2orange:
Its Pele,cmon now. He probly just woke up from a nap wearing his Billy Mays nighty.

Yourkisa
07-23-2010, 12:06 AM
Which one Smaug ?
You know he ordered in the first 10 minutes and got his order doubled to two of them !

Lady Hobbs
07-23-2010, 01:03 AM
Pele knows we luv him. If we didn't, we'd ignore him.
He's a good kid. I mean, look at all his gifts!

Pele
07-23-2010, 03:04 AM
yup! I got more kickmes than anyone else!
What kind of fish are those, anyway?

Lady Hobbs
07-23-2010, 03:08 AM
Pele, what fish ya talking about there, partner? Ol Hobbs is gettin' up there, ya know, and my mind reading ability has left me.