puddlekeeper
06-08-2007, 11:29 AM
Flower Horns? nice colors!

nanaglen2001
06-08-2007, 12:13 PM
Firemouths aka Thorichthys meeki:27:

puddlekeeper
06-08-2007, 12:22 PM
I used to have a Flower Horn that was colored like that with a less tapered face.

They look (to me) like Flower Horn's with a Green Severum shape.

Compared to an Oscar - are they more or less aggressive?

They certainly are fine looking!

nanaglen2001
06-08-2007, 12:46 PM
Meekis are very peaceful Cichlids, on the pic you see the every morning ritual between those two males. I would worry myself almost to death, if I wouldnt see this happening.

Its more show than anything, flaring their gills and getting very colorful, real fighting accurs very, very rarely. But if...whow its water splashing all over. Towards the other fish they behave completely neutral, as long the other animal dont fit into the mouths.

But when they breed, everything changes. Meekis are bloody good parents, which even bite the hand of the fishkeeper, if he/she isnt careful enough:thumb:

Great fish, interesting behaviour, curious and intelligent, very lovable, but not overly agressive (for a Cichlid and the agressivenes stays inside their kind normaly). But I really cant compare them to Oscars, cause I dont know how agressive they are. (Oscars I mean)

Lady Hobbs
06-08-2007, 01:52 PM
Beautiful. Looks like they all run to get their picture taken.

Don't forget POTM contest this month. I don't think you have entered any there yet.

Lady Hobbs
06-08-2007, 01:55 PM
Andrea, I see you are using sand. What are you using under it for your plants or do you have all sand?

nanaglen2001
06-08-2007, 02:44 PM
Its all sand, maybe on the somewhat bigger plants I use such a clay ball I mentioned.

Fertilizer like this Laterite (??) stuff would be thrown out money, cause my Cichlids dig THAT much, I dont even need a gravel cleaner.

Severus
06-08-2007, 03:02 PM
Great looking firemouths!

xoolooxunny
06-09-2007, 12:34 AM
those are some great looking fish!

Rue
06-09-2007, 02:00 AM
Beautiful fish and terrific photo!

kimmers318
06-09-2007, 12:11 PM
Great shot!! I take it everyone is gathered waiting for food:c12: . My opinion/experience about oscars are that they really aren't mean, they are big eaters and ornery.

Lady Hobbs
06-09-2007, 03:06 PM
Your plants are doing just wonderful in the sand as they are. With cichlids digging as they do, you wouldn't want anything else. Whatever you're doing, you are doing it right!

I may do the all sand (or gravel) myself in my angel tank and use the plant tabs. It's aggravating having the tank a mess because you transplanted something. Obviously things need to be transplanted now and then or moved. I will look for the clay tabs here.

RobbieG
06-15-2007, 12:35 AM
The fish are beuatiful - but I really really really love your plants! I am so jealous!

finest
07-05-2007, 04:06 PM
Meekis are very peaceful Cichlids, on the pic you see the every morning ritual between those two males. I would worry myself almost to death, if I wouldnt see this happening.

Its more show than anything, flaring their gills and getting very colorful, real fighting accurs very, very rarely. But if...whow its water splashing all over. Towards the other fish they behave completely neutral, as long the other animal dont fit into the mouths.

But when they breed, everything changes. Meekis are bloody good parents, which even bite the hand of the fishkeeper, if he/she isnt careful enough:thumb:

Great fish, interesting behaviour, curious and intelligent, very lovable, but not overly agressive (for a Cichlid and the agressivenes stays inside their kind normaly). But I really cant compare them to Oscars, cause I dont know how agressive they are. (Oscars I mean)

How to identify the sex of this fish?

Drumachine09
07-05-2007, 04:12 PM
How to identify the sex of this fish?

Post your question in a new thread and you will get more answers

BTW, andrea, stop posting pictures. You keep making me more and more jealous:hmm3grin2orange:

Your fish are gorgeous.