PDA

View Full Version : What can Betas Tank with?

BiGBlak
07-21-2010, 04:11 AM
Just wanted to know what can tank with a betta ? if anything ?

tori.lock
07-21-2010, 04:22 AM
Bettas can be kept with almost any fish. Surprisingly, it's usually the other fish that are more dangerous than the betta. Their slow movements and big flowing fins make them a target for anything bigger, or anything nippy.

That said, it varies from betta to betta. Some bettas can be housed with anything that wouldn't feel the need to nip, others can't even be housed with a snail. Typically, a betta in a community is best when added last, so that it doesn't feel the need to defend its territory. Gender is also, obviously, a huge factor. Females tend to be more placid than males, but there are many females that are just as aggressive as the most aggressive male.

FishGirl-Seattle
07-21-2010, 04:31 AM
Well now that is the $64,000 question lately! And the answer is: usually peaceful fish that don't nip flowing fins, like microrasbora species, neons and that type. And now the caveat. I started moving my Bettas into my peaceful community tanks 6 years ago. Suddenly in the past couple of days my 6 month old Betta took out two fish and several shrimp. I have usually had two to four bettas at a time for the past 6 years, I've probably had about a dozen. Some lived to three years , some 2.5 years, one became a cat toy (that was really awful), several were sold, , and I have two currently. A two year old and a 6 month old. They have had a range of personalities, some sweet, most were curious and not shy, some were pushy, a few were aggressive, none ever did more than a rare fin nip and that was when the other fish was too close to his nest. Until now. I will probably keep the 2 year old in his tank - a 38 Gal community, but will probably never again put one in a community tank less than 10 gal, and never again in a tank that has a particularly special small fish in it unless that fish is a little demon!

Lady Hobbs
07-21-2010, 01:01 PM
Betta's are generally kept in tanks to themselves for a reason. Same reason stores do not put them in their fish tanks. You have a small tank and there is no escape for those who are trying to get away from him should he decide to snack on them.

It works like angels and neons. Some angels do fine with neons and others will kill them.

Northernguy
07-21-2010, 02:46 PM
Agreed! It depends on the betta! Some have no problem sharing a tank and some do.
I have had bettas that would let guppies live in the same tank and I have had a betta that killed off all the guppies in a day.
Adding the betta last is a great suggestion.
I found cardinal tetras to work well with a freindly betta.

rich311k
07-21-2010, 02:50 PM
I like my bettas by themselves in ten gallon planted tanks. They do very well by themselves and are such personable little guys that they seem to fill up the tank by themselves.