PDA

View Full Version : Plant lighting... very confused?

bassboi
06-08-2007, 04:08 AM
I took a look at one of the stickied posts... and read this:

Bread & Butter plants. Some plants are physically sturdy, easily adapt to various chemical and temperature conditions, and do well with standard aquarium lighting. These make great starter plants for newer hobbyists, and are a fine choice for any hobbyist looking for plants for his "Fish Tank". Popular species include Anacharis (AKA Elodea or Egeria species), Hygrophila polysperma, Water Wisteria (Hygrophila difformis), most Vallisneria species, Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides), Amazon Swordplants (Echinodorus species), Java Fern (Microsorium pteropus, Banana plants (Nymphoides aquaticum), Onion plants (Crinum species) and the floating plant Hornwort (Ceratophyllum demersum).

Now, I'm wondering what type of lighting fixture I should use for this.

I have been looking at the Current USA Nova Extreme T5HOx2, which can be seen here: http://www.current-usa.com/novaextremet5hox2.html

As far as I know, it contains a T5 10,000K bulb, which, I understand it being a full-spectrum bulb, and here is some text from the site:

SlimPaq 10,000K T5HO - A powerful, penetrating full spectrum lamp replicating sunlight found on living coral reefs. Exceptional high lumen output concentrated between 400-480nm stimulates zooxanthellae production increasing both coral and invertebrate growth.

As well as a freshwater bulb, and here is the text from the site regarding this bulb:

SlimPaq Freshwater T5HO (Freshwater models only) - A bright pinkish hue lamp emits the ideal light energy and spectrum required by freshwater plants for photosynthesis. High color rendition enhances the brilliant colors in freshwater fish and brings out the lush green in plants.

Now, I am totally confused on the watts per gallon jargan, and I am just wondering if this type of fixture would be good enough for a couple of the plants listed above.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Chrona
06-08-2007, 04:12 AM
What size tank/light?

Lady Hobbs
06-08-2007, 04:18 AM
The freshwater lamp looks great for plants. Lower light plants would be 2-3 watts per gallon with higher light 3-5.

I have 40 on my 20 gallon tank and think it's plenty of light. I don't think a person needs a huge blinding light on a small tank and I know my fish would hate it. I think you should decide what type of plants you want to get, as well. Cyrpts will melt in too high of wattage and java fern and moss are both low to medium light.

The purpose is to get the light clear to the bottom of the tank. A small tank is 12 inches deep compared to a larger tank of 21-23" and I believe that should also be a consideration. I do like that freshwater light, tho. I didn't see that one when I was shopping for mine last week.

Chrona
06-08-2007, 04:33 AM
Low light plants just mean they can live at low light. Add more light and CO2 and java fern will grow like a weed, as will most low light plants. You need even more light (w/g wise) in a smaller tank than a bigger tank because smaller bulbs lack the intensity of larger ones, and this more than offsets the decreased height/light scattering. For instance, 3 watts per gallon over a 180g tank will grow anything you want, and is considered very high lighting, but 3 watts per gallon over a 10g is only medium. Likewise 3 watts over 1 gallon is considered minimal/low lighting. When I refer to watts, I'm talking about fluorescent/compact fluorescent with reflectors, which is still a very general term, and why the w/g rule is like the fish inch/g rule in that it only applies in certain situations.

bassboi
06-08-2007, 05:03 AM
Oh my bad... I forgot to tell that my tank is a 29g from walmart...

I know for sure that it's 30" wide...

and I was also going to get an AllGlass Versa-Top in addition to that fixture.

When I get back to my house where I have access to my aquarium, I'll give full measurements and stuff like that.

Also, I'm also open to other lighting suggestions, but I can't really locate many 30" fixtures...

I'll post all what I have planned once I get back to my house.

Thanks for the help so far, it's much much appreciated, for a confused and lost newbie. hehe :)

I'd just like to say, this is by far the best aquatic forum community I have found... I like the atmosphere, and the willingness you guys have to help anyone in need. Thanks again!

Lady Hobbs
06-08-2007, 05:44 AM
There's lot of good lights on the net. Just check out prices at different sites as it varies quite a bit. You might find a sale somewhere, too. BigAl's, Drs Foster and Smith, AquariumGuys, PetSolutions and ThatPetPlace all have decent lights.

Chrona
06-08-2007, 12:19 PM
Well, you'd have 48 watts of T-5 lighting over 29g, which I'd say is low light. Maybe medium. It would be fine for the plants above though, and you would not have to inject CO2.

bassboi
06-09-2007, 06:50 AM
What other plants do you think I could maybe add?

I'm highly interested in the val americana at drsfostersmith.com, it seems like it wouldn't grow too high, as well as the water sprite.

I'm not too choosy about some of the grass... I don't want my whole aquarium floor covered in grass, since I'm just looking to add a few natural plants to gain a natural look.

Another thing I was thinking of is getting a piece of driftwood and attaching some java moss, i think it is, to it, and having that as a place for some of my tank mates to hide and feel secure in...

Oh, by the way, the tank measurements are

30" wide x 18.5 high x 12.5 deep (front to back)

Thanks again for all your help!

Chrona
06-09-2007, 09:46 AM
What other plants do you think I could maybe add?

I'm highly interested in the val americana at drsfostersmith.com, it seems like it wouldn't grow too high, as well as the water sprite.

I'm not too choosy about some of the grass... I don't want my whole aquarium floor covered in grass, since I'm just looking to add a few natural plants to gain a natural look.

Another thing I was thinking of is getting a piece of driftwood and attaching some java moss, i think it is, to it, and having that as a place for some of my tank mates to hide and feel secure in...

Oh, by the way, the tank measurements are

30" wide x 18.5 high x 12.5 deep (front to back)

Thanks again for all your help!

dwarf hairgrass, maybe pymgy chain sword for a low lawn look.

hungryhound
06-09-2007, 01:05 PM
dwarf hairgrass, maybe pymgy chain sword for a low lawn look.

Would Dwarf hair grass even grow under 42 watts over a 29 gallon. It is barely hanging on in my 46 gallon that is receiving 96 watts + co2

Pygmy chain sword should work though.

Lady Hobbs
06-09-2007, 02:47 PM
I believe hairgrass is listed as a high light plant. I wanted to get some myself but decided I didn't have the lights for it.

Chrona
06-09-2007, 05:36 PM
Hairgrass requires high light and specific conditions to spread, not to grow/live. It grew just fine when I had 15 watts over 10g, and it does fine under 28 watts even when almost completely shaded by stem plants and wisteria. Heck, it's even sending off shooters, despite the terrible lighting (albeit slowly). I think there is something else lacking in your tank HH, as hairgrass is some pretty resilient stuff, and whenever I see a problem associated with hairgrass, it's that it won't spread. I don't think I've seen any issues with it actually dying. What do you mean by hanging in there?