PDA

View Full Version : Betta crimes - I can't believe he did it!

FishGirl-Seattle
07-21-2010, 03:12 AM
Not a good day at my house. My beautiful yellow Betta, of whom I am very fond, killed one of my microrasbora - Boraras Maculatus Dwarf Rasbora. I'm certain of it. And I am missing 4 Cherry shrimp and my Scarlet Badis. I counted my fish Sunday night, couldn't find the Badis but attributed that to his preference to hide in the caves, but also noticed the missing shrimp and thought, Hmmmm was it the Khuli Loach? I found a little baby shrimp so that was good news.. fast forward to this morning. Counted the tank residents again. Now I am missing the little rasbora. No bodies, no trace of either fish. Moved the caves, poked under the plants and wood, checked the filter and behind the heater, nada. These weren't sickly, marginal fish - they were healthy, full bodied, fins standing up active beauties. Gone. I can't believe it was the Khuli, but I think he helped hide the crime. Old Yeller (the Betta) has never hurt a tank mate before, although he has never been the shy retiring type. His aggression has always been limited to flaring at his reflection. I've had him about 6 months so I'm surprised this would suddenly pop up - he has always shared a tank with microfish and he has been in this tank for about 2 months. I only have 2 other tanks he could go to, a 55 hex with larger more aggressive fish (Angel, Rosy Barbs, Blue Flame Tetras) or another small tank (5G) with more micro fish. The hex is out, had to be the 5g so that's where he is now. Guess I'm buying a Betta tank tomorrow and scrounging media from one of my running filters. While I'm at it I'll buy a heater to replace the one that broke last night in my 38tall. What a day!:scry:

Sarkazmo
07-21-2010, 03:34 AM
Sorry for your losses.

This is why I suggest that people keep Betta as solitary residents. They can change over night and go on murderous rampages. Seen it a few times now.

Sark

FishGirl-Seattle
07-21-2010, 03:54 AM
:steamingears: I've kept them in my community tanks for the last 6 years and this has never happened to me before. I am so bummed!

Lady Hobbs
07-21-2010, 12:42 PM
No surprise here. Betta's are not always fish friendly. Looks like he was doing a bit of hunting last night. Sorry!

DragonGoby
07-21-2010, 01:16 PM
Sorry to hear about it... Even peaceful betta will find your shrimp delightful... Even one that is advertise like a non-agressive one (Imbellis type)!!

But I would be wary of the kuhli too... We have one in our tank, and my shrimp population (cherry) has lower very quickly... And Kuhli is the only one big enough to have that size of snack.

Brhino
07-21-2010, 01:26 PM
I hope everyone posting the "what can you keep bettas with?" threads get a look at this one.

SunSchein89
07-21-2010, 06:32 PM
I had a betta in a tank for 4 months before he started showing aggression. He now has his own tank and I have a different betta in there now who has been doing ok so far (fingers crossed on this one)

korith
07-22-2010, 02:51 AM
I had a betta in a 20g long with a few dozen ghost shrimp. They lived peacefully for several months. Then in a matter of a days, the betta went on a killing spree and took out every shrimp.

FishGirl-Seattle
07-22-2010, 03:44 AM
Finally finished his new "room". I don't have space for another small tank but I managed to relocate some stuff and clear a little room on the wine rack that is holding my larger tank's fluval. I stopped at the pet store tonight and picked up a 2.5g glass tank, some substrate, a small heater, a small filter and some floating plants. I really don't want to cycle the tank with him in it but I don't want to lose any more of my Rasboras either. Looks like it's a fish cycle for this one. On the plus side, he has it coming, and at 2.5G, WC will be a snap. It's official, my tv room looks like a fish store.....:pinkcry:

ohmikeosh
07-22-2010, 04:19 AM
I like it..sharp little tank. Something about little tanks I love them. I was looking at a 2.5, but they didnt have any lids for them.

souly
07-22-2010, 06:22 AM
I wouldn't worry to much abut cycling with the betta, they are sturdy fish and usually don't suffer to much from cycling.

SunSchein89
07-22-2010, 06:26 AM
I wouldn't worry to much abut cycling with the betta, they are sturdy fish and usually don't suffer to much from cycling.

Any fish can and will suffer from ammonia burns and nitrite poisoning, even if the signs aren't apparent at the time of the cycle.