PDA

View Full Version : Moss Ball Pearling

teddscau
07-20-2010, 11:25 PM
What is moss ball pearling? How do I make this occur?

ILuvMyGoldBarb
07-20-2010, 11:32 PM
Pearling can happen with almost any plant, however it is not as desirable as was once thought. Chasing the goal of pearling can cost a hobbyist a good bit of money and may still not happen. Basically, pearling is simply when a plant gives off oxygen in the form of bubbles.

teddscau
07-21-2010, 12:53 AM
Oh, I thought it caused moss balls to float.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
07-21-2010, 02:01 AM
To be honest, I've never actually heard of the True Moss balls pearling. Since they are not a true plant I would doubt they pearl.

FishGirl-Seattle
07-21-2010, 04:06 AM
What, you mean I won't find a nice cream colored gem of the sea if I open my moss ball? Rats, I wanted earrings....:hmm3grin2orange:

I've never had a moss ball pearl - but I have seen algae pearl. Thank goodness it wasn't in MY tank!!

SunSchein89
07-21-2010, 06:40 AM
Pearling can happen with almost any plant, however it is not as desirable as was once thought. Chasing the goal of pearling can cost a hobbyist a good bit of money and may still not happen. Basically, pearling is simply when a plant gives off oxygen in the form of bubbles.

Hm, I had always seen the term pearling thrown around while researching plant stuff online, but never really knew what it meant. I figured it had something to do with flowering. I had a java fern build up oxygen bubbles on the underside of it leaves for awhile. It was pretty cool to see, but I haven't seen it in awhile either.

Lady Hobbs
07-21-2010, 03:16 PM
Picture of pearling plant.

http://www.mosswall.com/Picture/Plant/Riccia/riccia2.jpg

jclee
07-21-2010, 03:43 PM
Oh, I thought it caused moss balls to float.

I've read that some stores make knock-off moss balls by growing algae on styrofoam spheres, and that these will float. I don't know if you liked the look of floating mossballs (in theory), but I don't think I would trust these, as the algae might be an invasive species that could take over your tank.