PDA

View Full Version : Snail ID Please

Zilla
07-20-2010, 08:45 PM
I started finding these guys in the 55 last week.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa192/Zillasplace/snail.jpg

To date, I've hand picked out about 10 of them. My guess is that they are Maylasian Trumpet Snails. (?) To add to the mystery, I haven't a clue where they came from. The moss and single plant that is left ( a sad strand of Jungle Val. They killed off the rest of them.) in there have been there for months and nothing new has been added to the tank since.

The wood that the moss is attached to came from Foster and Smith. It was sold as Maylasian driftwood, and I boiled it for several hours over the course of 2 days before adding it to the tank. I have same type of wood in the 20 gallon and some of the moss that is in the 55 as well. To date, I haven't spotted any of the above pictured snails in the 20 gallon.

GRRRRR!

smaug
07-20-2010, 10:11 PM
Yup,mts is is.They come frome nowhere.They are not harmful.Dont overfeed and they wont overpopulate.

Scrup
07-20-2010, 11:50 PM
I highly doubt it was the MTS that killed off your plants. They probably hitched a ride with a plant on the roots.

rich311k
07-20-2010, 11:54 PM
MTS would not eat or hurt a healthy plant. the will eat dieing leaf matter. They aerate the substrate and eat left over foods. Dont over feed the tank and they are more of a benefit than a plague.

Zilla
07-21-2010, 01:37 AM
I highly doubt it was the MTS that killed off your plants. They probably hitched a ride with a plant on the roots.

Where did I say that the snails killed the plants? My fish killed the plants.

Seriously...

Thanks Smaug.

rich311k
07-21-2010, 01:39 AM
Your post reads that way Zilla. We just misunderstood. no worries.

Scrup
07-21-2010, 03:02 PM
( a sad strand of Jungle Val. They killed off the rest of them.)

By THEY, one usually assumes you are referring to the subject at hand, not some random tangent. You didn't mention fish at all in your post. I apologize if I somehow offended you.

But you really do have this way of @#$%ing people off. thumbs2:

Zilla
07-21-2010, 04:49 PM
By THEY, one usually assumes you are referring to the subject at hand, not some random tangent. You didn't mention fish at all in your post. I apologize if I somehow offended you.

But you really do have this way of @#$%ing people off. thumbs2:

All you had to do was ask for me to clarify.

While I have my ways of @#$%ing people off, you seem to have mastered the art of passive / aggressive behavior. thumbs2:

Next time I'll be sure to make it a point to say that there are fish in the tank. Okay?

fins_n_fur
07-21-2010, 06:09 PM
Zilla: Deep inhale...slowly exhale...relax. Repeat as necessary.

Lady Hobbs
07-24-2010, 01:50 PM
Well, this thread was such fun and informative I think it should be closed.