PDA

View Full Version : My Orange Blood Parrot

EVAN199
06-08-2007, 12:26 AM
Sorry if you don't like Blood Parrots.

Also, this is my first post here.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hLq2Qlqd0-8

Theres a link to my orange blood parrot.

Enjoy

cocoa_pleco
06-08-2007, 01:56 AM
NICE parrot! i left a comment too (mrbailalot)

EVAN199
06-08-2007, 01:59 AM
NICE parrot! i left a comment too (mrbailalot)
Thanks much. I've had him for about 2 years now. He sure has grown alot.

puddlekeeper
06-08-2007, 02:32 AM
2 years? how big is he?

I've got a couple that have been growing like weeds!

EVAN199
06-08-2007, 03:07 AM
About 5.5 inches or so.

We got him when he was just a little fry, and he eats like mad as well.

Drumachine09
06-08-2007, 03:11 AM
Looks like he is in an awfully small tank, but he does have good color.

I would reccomend at LEAST 40 gallons for him, as he is a big fish.

Lady Hobbs
06-08-2007, 04:26 AM
Well, I like your blood parrot. I see nothing wrong with two different cichlids that happen to breed causing the blood parrot. It's not like they were held down and artifically inseminated! I do have a problem with those that are dyed as I do all dyed fish.

I think the blood parrot gets a bad rap, really. Many fish are inter-bred but we hear nothing about them.

Severus
06-08-2007, 04:36 AM
Great looking parrot! Nice vid

Lady Hobbs
06-08-2007, 04:42 AM
Ya know, there is so much crap on the net about blood parrots but talk to those that have them and most love theirs. I actually read on one site that their lips are cut off! Honestly. People don't know how they are bred (the pair that spawned them) so much has gone into guessing and making up stories about them.

Rue
06-08-2007, 04:51 AM
I agree with Hobbs...

...they look fine...they appear to be healthy and long-lived...they eat just fine and are all cichlid...

...it's all good as far as I'm concerned...

puddlekeeper
06-08-2007, 12:10 PM
About 5.5 inches or so.

We got him when he was just a little fry, and he eats like mad as well.

They are a hoot to watch eating ...

Once in a while I take pre-cooked store bought frozen shrimp and put a couple through a hand held manual cheese grater (frozen) right into the tank ... My fish are well feed and get a variety - I usually keep 7 or 8 different foods for them so they don't get border with the menu.

These buggers have such poor depth perception that makes them do some funny stuff and the love the shrimp that way.

Mine are about 3 1/2 inches and at this point in time - I can't see myself trading them off!

Lady Hobbs
06-08-2007, 12:51 PM
Your shrimp idea is one I'll keep in mind.

puddlekeeper
06-08-2007, 01:17 PM
the thing I use is called a Mouli Grater made in France - it's a MUST for shredding frozen food for fish!

IF you can find one - it's worth it!

Mine is even older than this one on eBay with the plastic - Ebay List: Vintage Mouli Grater (http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Portable-Mouli-Grater-3-Drums-Fine-Med-Slicing_W0QQitemZ180127999431QQcmdZViewItem)

Lady Hobbs
06-08-2007, 01:26 PM
Neat. I have a grinder that will probably work and also have a cheese shredder. Hopefully one of those will do the trick.

EVAN199
06-08-2007, 03:17 PM
Thanks for all the great comments everyone!!

Like Lady Hobbs said, I don't see anything wrong with them either. Personally, I think they are a great fish, and are so peaceful and alot of fun to watch.

2manyfish
06-09-2007, 01:27 AM
Wish I could see the video (it's my computer, not the video). Any chance of a pic?
I love blood parrots, I have one too. Mine is very, very aggressive, especially when she lays eggs.

I read in one of the fish mags awhile back about this man who was a curator at a public aquarium. Michigan or Wisconsin I think. Anyway, he suggested that blood parrots were not hybrids at all but rather deformed on purpose by the asian breeders. He thought they were using selenium on the fertilized eggs of normal midas cichlids....and selenium does produce birth defects especially of the face, mouth and spine of fishes. It also tends to make fish sterile....

I don't like dyed fish either Lady Hobbs!! Don't even know why they do that when they know the dye fades and then the fish will have dullish colors where the dye used to be (if they survive that is).

EVAN199
06-09-2007, 01:38 AM
Wish I could see the video (it's my computer, not the video). Any chance of a pic?
I love blood parrots, I have one too. Mine is very, very aggressive, especially when she lays eggs.

I read in one of the fish mags awhile back about this man who was a curator at a public aquarium. Michigan or Wisconsin I think. Anyway, he suggested that blood parrots were not hybrids at all but rather deformed on purpose by the asian breeders. He thought they were using selenium on the fertilized eggs of normal midas cichlids....and selenium does produce birth defects especially of the face, mouth and spine of fishes. It also tends to make fish sterile....

I don't like dyed fish either Lady Hobbs!! Don't even know why they do that when they know the dye fades and then the fish will have dullish colors where the dye used to be (if they survive that is).

Sure. Here's a few pics I got for you. Enjoy

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l263/xplosive_evan_2006/0002.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l263/xplosive_evan_2006/0003.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l263/xplosive_evan_2006/0004.jpg

2manyfish
06-09-2007, 11:11 PM
Evan WOW!!! What a gorgeous BP you have!!! :1luvu: I have never seen one with such distinct and awesome markings on it's tail!! Thanks for posting the pics!!! :thumb:

EVAN199
06-10-2007, 02:22 AM
Evan WOW!!! What a gorgeous BP you have!!! :1luvu: I have never seen one with such distinct and awesome markings on it's tail!! Thanks for posting the pics!!! :thumb:
Sure thing. Glad you like him.

WOLF
06-16-2007, 04:02 AM
Looks Great Thax 4 Sharing