PDA

View Full Version : Whats your favourite?

chris2kmac
07-19-2010, 10:46 AM
Im not sure whether to buy a shoal of neon's or guppies, so i guess ill ask you guys :)

What is your favourite in your opinion?

-Which is more fun / attractive / hardy / friendly in your opinion :)

rangur1
07-19-2010, 11:37 AM
based on your choices and what you seem to be looking for out of your fish, i would recommend the guppies because they are hardier. you should try to decide on the setup your want and read up on the fish that would fit the bill.
your question tells me your unsure what you want to do in regards to stocking the tank.

chris2kmac
07-19-2010, 12:02 PM
I think ill choose guppies.

how do i get my new water to same temp as the tank water during a water change?

Sharkman
07-19-2010, 12:05 PM
the new water you use for the water change does not need to be exactly the same temperature. As long as it is pretty close you will be fine. Just don't make the water burning hot or ice cold and you really won't have an issue.

Excellence
07-19-2010, 12:32 PM
I've had 5 guppy males, black phantoms, blue tux neons, yellow, red cobra delta, whatever else they were. Very pretty, will sometimes line up and push themselves against the output current like it's a game. Fun to watch.

They're not too hardy though. They will sicken with rising ammonia and refuse to eat. They're easy to get finrot, and in my exp, once with it the tails don't seem to regen. Extremely agile; against a larger blue gourami with attitude, they can run rings around the dino.

Basically, nice and small, but must have excellent water quality.

My neons got sucked against the filter intake. Lost a dozen over a month. Expensive. If going for neons, buy them large so they have muscle power to pull loose.

Aeonflame
07-19-2010, 01:50 PM
Fish dont usually get sucked into the filter unless they are already weakened/dying. Ive found that neons just seem to die for no obvious reason. I just haven't had any luck with them, but maybe you will. As for guppies they are more forgiving, but you still need to keep your parameters good.

Northernguy
07-19-2010, 02:30 PM
I have never had any luck with new bought guppies.
I have had some with neons but I think the best way to go is with Cardinal tetras.They are much hardier then neons and guppies.IMO

DrNic
07-19-2010, 05:10 PM
I prefer neons. I find they have much more personality and are fun to watch in a large tank as they school around.

troy
07-19-2010, 05:39 PM
Guppies. Neon tetras have no personality at all.

Scrup
07-19-2010, 07:26 PM
I vote guppies as well. Or if you want a smaller guppylike fish (same requirements and are just as hardy, if not more so due to the fact that endlers are nearly as overbred as guppies) with similar/more vibrant coloring than a neon, get some endlers.

gadget228
07-19-2010, 08:33 PM
Start off with a small group of guppies and in no time at all you will have a tank full of them. Guppies have to be some of the fastest breeders ever.

Ashley
07-19-2010, 09:27 PM
I second the endler vote! Endlers are very nice

sheamurai
07-19-2010, 11:30 PM
Neons over guppies, anytime. Guppies aren't very hardy, breed like weeds.
Neons are flashy, get along with everybody, and if you buy decent sized ones, generally hardy.
Plus, I like the fact that they clean up the smaller flake food that larger fish won't bother to eat.

Excellence
07-20-2010, 09:41 AM
Guppies won't breed if you buy all males. Nice and larger showy tails too.

smaug
07-22-2010, 11:10 PM
Is this for the tank you have the angelfish in?If so,add none of them until you get rid of the angels.Your tank is already overstocked.
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=66435
just a reminder