PDA

View Full Version : Just Can't Belive This!

Daz
07-18-2010, 07:56 PM
Been to visit a freind of mine today who has a fish house and keeps, Breed's and Sells Discus.

Just out of interest i took along a sample of my Tank water for him to test.

I am using the Tetra liquid test kits to constantly monitor my cycling tank and todays test results were:

Ammonia = 0.25 mg/l
Nitrite = 0 mg/l
Nitrate = 12.5 mg/l
GH = 5.5
PH = 8

My freind uses an electronic pen type PH meter and the API test kit, His results on the same sample of water were:

Ammonia = 0.50 mg/l
Nitrite = 0 mg/l
Nitrate = 0 mg/l
GH = 7
PH = 7

Whats all that about???

I am cycling my first tank and have been doing so for just under a month.

My freind has a fish house with around 20 tanks, a few hundred discus, Loads of success in breeding and selling his stock and a good few years more experience than me.

I think i know which test kit i'm going to trust!

Any one wanna buy a part used tetra test kit??

Lady Hobbs
07-18-2010, 08:10 PM
How do you know his was not the inaccurate one?:ssuprised:

But yes, API are very good testers and generally used by most.

rich311k
07-18-2010, 08:19 PM
Hobby grade kits are not the most accurate tests anyway. API does have a good reputation.

gadget228
07-18-2010, 08:24 PM
API liquid test kits are the only ones I have used, I have total confidence in them. thumbs2:

FishGirl-Seattle
07-18-2010, 08:30 PM
I'm always suspicious when any established tank comes back with a zero nitrate value. I'm an API fan myself but 0 nitrate? In a tank with no gravel that just had a 100% water change, maybe.

smaug
07-18-2010, 08:30 PM
I experianced much the same thing.I was having high nitrate readings from the tap using api liquid test kit.It concerned me so I got a proffessional water test done.My actual nitrate readings done by a pro were less the 5 ppm while my api consistently showed 30-40.It was the same with hardness as well.The hobby grade stuff leaves too many things unacounted for while the pro tests are much more involved.i havnt tested for nitrates since then.BTW,he tested mt tank water as well as my tap.

FishGirl-Seattle
07-18-2010, 08:49 PM
I don't even test for nitrates after a tank is cycled.

Northernguy
07-18-2010, 08:50 PM
I have been using the tetra kit for yrs.I haven't had a tank crash or any mass losses of fish.I trust it!
I can also get the refills at my lfs.
I haven't seen the API test kit very often.Maybe once at Big Al's.

Daz
07-18-2010, 10:25 PM
How do you know his was not the inaccurate one?:ssuprised: .

Thats just it, I dont. I'm just curious as to why the results were so different? I'm here looking for advice from the good people like yourself, But for instance.If i were to ask you a question and you were to ask me my PH value lets say, Do i tell you 7 or 8? My tetra test kit tells me i'm definately dealing with ammonia with a PH of 8 where as the digital test suggests i could possibly be dealing with the less toxic Ammonium with it's + or - 0.1 accuracy (if what i think i've learned is correct?) Isn't that a big difference?

I'm always suspicious when any established tank comes back with a zero nitrate value. I'm an API fan myself but 0 nitrate? In a tank with no gravel that just had a 100% water change, maybe.

My tank is not established yet, I'm in the first stages of the cycle. I did post some of my original results in the beginner cycling section a while ago and yes a few people were confused as to why my nitrates were at 12.5 in a new tank. The tetra test tells me i have 12.5mg/l nitrates in my tap water.

Oh dear! My head hurt's

From what i've learned so far i think the API test results reflect the stage my tank is at right now in the cycle more accurately, Would anyone agree?

Thanks for your replies guys, Always appreciated.

Daz...

HeatherB
07-19-2010, 01:55 AM
If your friend has so many tanks, you should get some of her tank media- or put some of yours in her tank for a while. Then swap it back to yours (keeping it wet of course) and you are pretty much cycled. Stock lightly for a week or two, add fish slowly, and you'll be good to go. This is the easy way!

Sursion
07-19-2010, 01:57 AM
I also use API. Aside from some of the colours looking identical, it's very good.