PDA

View Full Version : is this true?

Elliriyanna
07-18-2010, 05:17 PM
I was reading about ponds and came across a site that recommended buying an above ground pool and stocking that instead since its cheaper. Would this really be healthy for them? With a powerful pump of course

smaug
07-18-2010, 05:20 PM
No its not a good idea at all.Above ground pools get wide variations in temp,especially when its very hot and certainly do not work for cool climates.

Elliriyanna
08-06-2010, 02:43 PM
well it'd be just like a pond it'd be a HUGE ( 12x4 ft ) pool and i'd put it in the shade

Brhino
08-06-2010, 02:49 PM
it would still be an issue. You'd remove solar heating if it was in full shade, but you'd still have air exposure on the sides as well as the top, which would result in much more temperature variation.

Plus, as Smaug says, if you are in a climate with the possibility of freezing temperatures, an above-ground pond be much more likely to freeze solid.

Elliriyanna
08-06-2010, 02:56 PM
hmmm ... above ground summer and in tanks in the winter? I want to eventually get a turtle and koi pond. its years away but I've learned doing research ahead of time and continously learning is a great thing to do :)

I love goldfish and RES are so great :) I love turtles :)

Brhino
08-06-2010, 04:27 PM
it's not just the winter. Smaug has a Koi pond, in the ground. If it's a hot day (or a hot week or month) where he lives the pond still isn't going to change much, because most of its border (the sides and the bottom) is in contact with the earth which changes temperature very very slowly. If he had an above ground pool right next to his pond, it would get much hotter on the hotter days because of all that contact with the air. It's an unnatural situation and the fish will be stressed by it, especially fish like Goldfish or Koi that prefer colder water to begin with.

Red
08-06-2010, 04:30 PM
I agree with brhino and smaug, and i would like to add there not as nice looking (unless you put a lot of work into it).

Elliriyanna
08-06-2010, 05:10 PM
Very true ... I'll find something cheap inground.