PDA

View Full Version : how long will they live?

Elliriyanna
07-18-2010, 04:18 PM
Ok so I bought two goldfish ( without doing research which isnt like me but ... yeah) and i now have them in a ten gallon and they need thirty gallons for the two of them. I cant rehome them since the only people i know who have ponds have natural ponds and you cant add new species. And I do have a fourty gallon aquarium but I cant set it up due to dorm regulations.

SO my question is How long will they live if they are kept in a ten gallon there whole lives?

Yes I know this seems cruel but I am just curious

gm72
07-18-2010, 04:30 PM
Incredibly cruel and they need more than a 30 gallon tank. You will need to perform I would say 75% water changes weekly to even keep up with the bioload. Bad situation and inhumane for the fish.

Rue
07-18-2010, 04:34 PM
That's next to impossible to answer.

All goldfish have the potential to reach 30-40 years, given good genetics and ideal conditions.

If you do lots of water changes, that will help. If you get them a bigger tank - that will help.

Are you proposing to live in a dorm forever? LOL...if you're lucky, you might get by keeping them in a small tank until you're done studies (I'm assuming 2-4 years depending on what you're taking).

Personally, I would rehome them...or if you plan to keep them do water changes 2-3X a week (and test your water of course)...and get them into a larger tank as soon as you're able to. Get a larger filter too...that will help a bit. Don't overfeed.

Rue
07-18-2010, 04:37 PM
Incredibly cruel and they need more than a 30 gallon tank. You will need to perform I would say 75% water changes weekly to even keep up with the bioload. Bad situation and inhumane for the fish.

Well, definately not ideal...and a 30 g would do fine for several years for 2 fish. Goldies don't grow all that fast...

Way back when...I kept 3 in a 5g for about 5 years and they were healthy. They died because a new fish I bought had ich...THEN they all died...not because the tank was too small. I wouldn't do it again...but if was able to keep 3 in a 5 g for years, you can keep 2 in a 10 g for a while as well...

Elliriyanna
07-18-2010, 04:37 PM
No i'm not living in a dorm forever lol and it should take about five years( very difficult major and minor) . and when i move I wanna get a pond for my babies and a couple RES. So thats why no other tank. but the question is will they be able to live four years in the tank and then be moved? I dont have anywhere to rehome them right now plus they are too tiny.

smaug
07-18-2010, 05:14 PM
It will require very good tank keeping from you.

ohmikeosh
07-18-2010, 05:23 PM
Petco has a dollar a gallon sale. Maybe buying a 20 gallon would help quite a bit for a couple of years. That would double the space for them.

Lady Hobbs
07-18-2010, 08:00 PM
I think just saying goldfish without saying the species of goldies is confusing to really give a fair answer. Goldfish can grow from 4 inches up to a 12" depending on the species.

But my philosophy is always the same when keeping fish or any animal, for that matter. Are we keeping them in the manner that is really the best for them or keeping them from living as they should just because we love them and don't want to part with them?

As far as knowing how long anything we have will live, no one can ever guess at that. Sometimes we give them the best of everything and they still die for unknown reasons.

troy
07-18-2010, 08:36 PM
Their is only one species of goldfish, Carassius auratus.

Hanna
07-18-2010, 08:57 PM
Hi Ellirianna,

hope your 2 goldfish will be fine for a while, give them good filtration and perform waterchanges and test the water as already advised.
What happened with your 2 female guppies?

:goldfish: :goldfish:

Elliriyanna
07-18-2010, 09:24 PM
My guppies are great :) sometimes the goldfish charge after them but they get out of the way :) I got Melafix for there fins :)

Rue
07-18-2010, 09:39 PM
Now you have MORE than 2 goldfish in the tank? :sconfused:

That's changing things up a bit...

Lady Hobbs
07-18-2010, 09:44 PM
Their is only one species of goldfish, Carassius auratus.

OK.......one species but mutiple breeds. That work better for you?

Elliriyanna
07-18-2010, 10:00 PM
The guppies were in the tank even before the goldfish but there are only two little female guppies i just moved them out of their little bowl. though if the goldfish look like they wanna eat them i'll move them back.

Elliriyanna
07-19-2010, 01:53 AM
I am currently feeding them Tetra brand goldfish flakes and sun dried shrimp. Is this ok or do they need more of a variety?

Also I added some anacharis and started a Melafix treatment.

Is there anything else i need? ( a bigger tank i know :( but sadly for now I just cant do that for my babies :( )

Hanna
07-19-2010, 08:25 AM
You can feed them frozen bloodworms, ours just LOVE it, LOL, brineshrimp is nice, also zucchini, cucumber, watermelon, strawberries, also frozen but thawed and shelled peas ( unsalted ), all cut into tiny pieces so they fit in their little mouth. I also read that they like lettuce, but at this stage I think your babies are too small for that. But you can try. If there is some leftovers after couple of hours, just take them out.

Sure they love the plant. Hope that Melafix wil fix it. Keep fingers crossed.

Aww. yes you asked about other things you need... well, do you have a test kit for your water chemistry, a siphon to vacuum the gravel... hm, just thinking of our equipment....Pimafix, water conditioner.

More questions? Just ask

MCHRKiller
07-19-2010, 09:12 AM
My mom has my first fish in her pond...they were purchased almost 21 years ago as 10cent feeders. Im sure they have atleast another decade or so to go as they are still very much fat healthy robust looking fish.

Fantails/Fancies dont seem to live as long as their single tailed cousins. I also had a small black moore that was purchased with these fish that died about 6-7 years ago.

As for your fish...10gallons is by no means adequate for any real length of time. Goldfish are survivors that is a fact. Pickup a 20G high tank...it doesnt take up really any more space than the 10G would and most dorms dont know the difference. Being as from your avatar it appears you have fancies that should meet their requirements for the time you would be in school, providing your willing to do the work to keep them up. I would also invest in a good canister filter...a Rena XP2 or Fluval 305, each of these filters is rated for a 70G aquarium. Seems crazy but goldfish produce alot more waste than comparable FW tropicals...they will put that extra bio space to use. You can also help control nitrates by getting some live plants, this extreme filtration and plants combined with large weekly cleanings will keep your fish in good conditions even though their tank size leaves something to be desired :22:

Elliriyanna
07-19-2010, 02:55 PM
Actually both of my little ones are comets. I cant break dorm rules and get a 20 gallon as much as I'd love to. What I wanna do is get my forty gallon up and running for them and turn the ten into a Betta sorority because its the best I could do for both of them. But who would keep my fish for four years? Maybe my dad could but I haven't talked to him in months. I'm gonna try to find someone who would be willing to take the forty for a few years. I have to get it out of storage anyway. But that still needs a heater gravel and all that good stuff. I'll get them in it as soon as I can. The problem is I dont have lots of money. I'm just doing the best I can for them

Elliriyanna
07-19-2010, 03:00 PM
My thing is since the ten gallon is the only option I have for now. Could I keep them in it for college and then upgrade them to the forty when I get my own place? I know its not the best situation but would it be possible? I mean to keep them healthy and relatively happy living in this tank for a while.

They've finally warmed up and will swim in front of me and just hang out :) they also do this wiggling thing thats so cute. Bubbles hides a lot but he's healthy and Spaz is my little explorer who likes to check everything out :) I love these little guys and my biggest fear with rehoming especially at this size is they will be used as feeders :(

I know this isnt the best set up but for now please just help me keep them happy in this tank.

Inga1
07-19-2010, 03:16 PM
One of the saddest things I ever saw was a 12 inch goldfish in a 20 gallon tank. I almost cried. The lady said she didn't intend to keep it that way but....

I also suggest working to find them a new home until you can get into a situation that allows for a larger tank. Good luck in your studies.

Lady Hobbs
07-19-2010, 03:24 PM
If you have comets, even 40 gallons will not be large enough for them eventually. They really need a pond or will continue to be an ongoing problem. Why not ask at the fish store if you can trade them in on a few guppies. Those you can manage and not have to worry about getting someone to care for them for 4 years.

Scrup
07-19-2010, 03:40 PM
Goldies don't grow all that fast...

I beg to differ on that one. All of my 27 cent 1/2" goldies hit 7-8" in a year. Thats pretty fast IMO. It depends on diet, water temp, and water quality.

Elliriyanna
07-19-2010, 04:24 PM
I'm not trading them back in I dont like guppies honestly I want Bettas and I know they need a pond. My friend knows someone who breeds Koi so when my babies are bigger we are going to see if they can live with her :)

But first more plants and water heater lol after my goldfish are in a nice new home I'm starting a betta sorority :) I've done all the research and they will be healthy and happy in the ten gallon given enough places to hide.

MCHRKiller
07-19-2010, 05:15 PM
lol, shows how blind I am looking at a small pic. But yeah single tailed goldfish honestly dont belong in an aquarium...or atleast one under 100G. They do their best outdoors in a pond. It is very commendable of you to care enough about those fish to look after finding them a better home...most people wouldnt.

Elliriyanna
07-19-2010, 07:09 PM
with them being such tiny babies I wont rehome them yet not until they have a chance in a bigger pond. they are an inch long. I am gonna look into a owner but grow them up some first :) then I am getting Bettas :) I cant wait :) My babies having a good home and me with some beautiful Bettas :) ( not that I dont love Bubbles and Spaz :)

smaug
07-19-2010, 10:04 PM
I think she is doing very well with what she has.It is difficult to give up a critter or critters you have grown attached to.

Elliriyanna
07-19-2010, 10:13 PM
Thanks so much Smaug :) Your right it is hard especially not knowing where they are going to go and how they will be treated there. With me i know I will take care of them.

My moms ex treated animals badly then blamed the animals... I have seen bad things and do not EVER want to see an animal hurt again. My heart hurts thinking about what I've seen. :( Poor babies :(

smaug
07-19-2010, 10:19 PM
Just keep in mind that there situation is only tennable for about a month kept this way.Ammo poisoning is akin to us wearing clothes soaked in our own urine.

Elliriyanna
07-19-2010, 10:22 PM
well ... I put plants in which should help. And I will rehome them. And I will look into better filters. Maybe a fourty gallon filter. If I did that how well would it work?

Is there anything other than a strong filter that will help? and Is anyone on here from Kentucky?

Scrup
07-20-2010, 12:03 AM
Water changes and gravelvacing the tank are your best weapons, aside from a bigger tank/filter.

Have you considered a rubbermaid sump at all? Can increase the volume of water and your filtration without getting a larger tank. Might be a good thing to do as a temp setup.

smaug
07-20-2010, 12:10 AM
well ... I put plants in which should help. And I will rehome them. And I will look into better filters. Maybe a fourty gallon filter. If I did that how well would it work?

Is there anything other than a strong filter that will help? and Is anyone on here from Kentucky?
A`20 gal filter will do fine.Plants will do nothing but cause a whole other set of problems,you dont have plant supporting lights or gravel and the goldys will eat them.

Elliriyanna
07-20-2010, 12:12 AM
its anacharis just the light from the window is fine. whats a rubbermaid sump?

Rue
07-20-2010, 12:25 AM
It's a sump, using a rubbermaid bucket/bin as a reservoir. Personally, I'd use a glass tank...easier to see/keep clean.

Elliriyanna
07-20-2010, 12:27 AM
mine is glass. and I have no idea what your talking about...

Scrup
07-20-2010, 12:30 AM
Its just a big rubbermaid tote with a pump in it. The water flows from the tank into the tote, gets filtered by whatever you use as filter media, then the pump takes it back up to the tank. Its just like a big filter that sits below the tank. Pretty cheap to make yourself.

The reason I suggested the rubbermaid as opposed to the tank (which would also work as a sump) was that a rubbermaid bin, if done right, would technically not be a tank, and would not even look like one, thus you would not get in trouble with the dorm.

Rue
07-20-2010, 12:31 AM
I love Google...:1luvu:

http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/bcorsettingup/a/aa020298sumps.htm

...sumps are most often used for SW set-ups, but can be used for FW too, if the need arises...

Scrup
07-20-2010, 12:40 AM
My old one before I switched to a glass sump-
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/500/medium/100_1036.JPG
Its below the tank. You could do it with just two tubes, mine just looks crazy because it is going to a huge tank and I have a habit of overengineering things.

The water comes down, into some rubbermaid drawers with polyester pillow batting in them-

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=18760&d=1265827948

Onto a drip tray and throught the bio media, to a pump and back into the tank.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/500/medium/100_1035.JPG

This sump added 39 gallons to my tank. My new one adds 60G to the tank.

Elliriyanna
07-20-2010, 12:43 AM
I know this sounds like i'm stupid but I'm not getting how the water gets down there. or filtered or back .. I'm just not getting it. and I've thought about a tote ... i have one but That'd still be pushing it

Pleco380
07-20-2010, 12:59 AM
It's kind of like a canister filter. Just put it below the tank, it will pump water in to the tank and then water will go down another tube into the sump. No one will even see the rubbermaid and probably won't check to see if water is in it.

Scrup
07-20-2010, 01:00 AM
http://sparklingfloorservice.com/melevsreef/what_sump.html

There is a device called an overflow.
When the water level in the tank goes up, it goes into this device and into a tube down to the sump. The water runs through filter media, then to a pump, then back into the tank, raising the tanks water level, making water go down the overflow. Which gets filtered....etc...etc.

It gets filtered by whatever means you can come up with. The cheapest/most effecient method IMO is to get some rubbermaid drawers, drill/cut some holes in them, and put some sponge filter or polyester batting in the drawers (really cheap and works great, sold at fabric stores or wal-martish stores) Then the tubes go into the top drawer, the water flows down through them, getting filtered by the spinge/poly batting, then you fill the rest of the area with whatever you want for bio media. Polyester batting, lava rocks, in my case, broken terra cotta pots. Anything with a high surface area.

All of this is inside the rubbermaid tote btw.

Elliriyanna
07-20-2010, 04:45 PM
I'm not very handy I dont think I can do it. I think when they get bigger I will rehome them :( but they will grow up big and happy. and I will have a male betta with a ten gallon to himself :)

Think that would work well?