PDA

View Full Version : Another Shipping Question

tori.lock
07-18-2010, 01:05 AM
Priority vs express. Which do you do, and why? Do various conditions help you decide?

I'm shipping 5 a.vespa and 12 ember tetras from PA to CA, and am deciding if the risk to save on shipping is worth it, as it would save me $20 on shipping ($10- vs $30) but I wouldn't get an AOA guarantee.

rich311k
07-18-2010, 01:09 AM
I have done both ways and I have had no arrival problems. In the winter when it is cold I have things shipped overnight. If the fish are well packed Priority should be adequate at this time of year.

Lady Hobbs
07-18-2010, 01:13 AM
That's a hard question not knowing how you packed them. Breather bags, cold packs, tank buddies, or double bagged plastic bags? And how many to a bag?

tori.lock
07-18-2010, 01:18 AM
I'm having them shipped to me, so I'm not sure. It's Ms. Jinkzd, and I've heard good reviews about her packing. I'll ask MCRHKiller about the packing, as I know she's bought from her before. I'm pretty sure it will be breather bags, and she uses oxygen. Other than that, I don't know.

rich311k
07-18-2010, 01:20 AM
I have bought from her and everything arrived safe and sound. She packs well and has exellent stock.

tori.lock
07-18-2010, 01:23 AM
That's good to hear. I'm starting to lean towards priority, because everything I've heard, she's a good packer, trustworthy seller and it's summer. If anything, I'd be worried about them over-heating.

Lady Hobbs
07-18-2010, 01:48 AM
Then she knows her business and you should have no problem at all. I thought from your first post it was you who was shipping.

Lady Hobbs
07-18-2010, 02:18 AM
I have got a shipping experience that is just so odd I wanted to share it with you.

Last year I shipped two boxes of fish to Kentucy. From my home in MI, it takes 3 days priorty mail for arrivals there. I ship in breather bags which are very neat and are suppose to expel toxins and allow fresh air to enter and I also use cold packs.

Anyway, I shipped probably 40 firemouths and a couple dozen rainbows. I checked with the guy and he hadn't received the fish on the 4th day, 5th, 6th, etc. After a week I gave up. 26 days after I mailed those two boxes, I get a post card from a post office one hour North of me in Traverse City, MI. The boxes were wet so they had refused to ship them and they had sat in their storage room for 26 days!

My first thought was to tell them to throw those boxes in their dumpster but I had enclosed $40 in cash in one of the boxes so decided to go retrieve them just for that $40. Never did I expect to see a live fish. Out of all those firemouths, 6 were still living and swimming around in the most ungodly slimy water you can imagine. Fish had died and others managed to remain alive in that slime! And in the second box, every single rainbow fish was still alive.

One bag had broke that contained some firemouths so when they stacked the boxes, the leaking one was on top of the second box also getting that one slightly wet.

I was furious. Not because a bag had broken but because it took them 26 days to bother to contact me when I could have gotten a post card from them on day one! Now, is this a test as to how effective those breather bags are, or what? Not sure why one broke. You can throw them across the room and they don't break but one did.

Anyway, there's my story.

tori.lock
07-18-2010, 02:21 AM
Wow, that is REALLY impressive. I was going to say, if the breather bag is expelling toxins it should be reeking! I'm hoping this all goes well, it's my first time ordering fish online. *fingers crossed* I am also really excited to have my first community tank. Fortunately, I usually have pretty good luck shipping things, even to a dorm room address.

Lady Hobbs
07-18-2010, 02:58 AM
They'll be fine. Just turn their lights off until the next day to reduce stress.
Good luck.