PDA

View Full Version : The Great Anemone Harvest

Rue
07-17-2010, 08:48 PM
Well, after procrastinating for over a year, yesterday I finally went after the green bubble-tipped anemones that had taken over my SW tank.

I took in the entire rocks that they were on - to my reef store - and they took the critters off for me. Best I could tell there were 17.

That left me with 4 in the tank. I'd have preferred 1. But I can live with 4!

Today...one had moved itself overnight and anchored to a bit of algae, so it was easy to remove...so hubby took it in for me.

Down to 3! :19:

My clownfish are NOT as enthusiastic as I am. But boy, does my tank look roomy again.

I'll get a store credit for them Half of what they sell for - and that's dependent on the size of them. So we'll see what I get. I'm good with store credit. I hope they all find good homes.

gm72
07-17-2010, 09:45 PM
That's really cool. Great way to get some money for something different and share the rewards for a well-maintained tank!

rich311k
07-17-2010, 10:03 PM
That is great. I am glad it worked out so well for you.

Cliff
07-17-2010, 10:04 PM
I have a freind who tried a SW tank, twice. She couldn't even keep one anemone alive and here you are getting over-grown with them. Great job

I don't know a lot about SW tanks, but store credit sounds good :hmm3grin2orange:

Rue
07-18-2010, 12:25 AM
Thanks guys! I'm happy as a clam! LOL...

I was thinking it's quite funny...felt like naming myself Drylander Anemone Farms or something like that...

...now I'm kinda excited too! Maybe I could try a coral again! And have it LIVE! thumbs2: :hmm3grin2orange:

But first, I need to replentish my CUC...I've had the a few of the same snails since day one...but not having luck keeping hermits/other shrimp alive for some reason.

sheamurai
07-18-2010, 01:29 PM
haha, already plans for using that store credit...

Something's perhaps eating your shrimp/hermits?

Rue
07-18-2010, 02:52 PM
I have a theory that the anemones were giving off alleochemicals...and that was doing in the tank. Doesn't bother the fish...but may inhibit the other inverst such as the corals.

The crabs might not be getting enough iodine to moult properly. I need to look into that more. There are opposing POV...but if adding supplemental iodine works...why not?

Rue
07-18-2010, 05:11 PM
Nooooooo!

Back up to 4!!!

Don't know if one came out of hiding and I missed it at yesterday's count, or it's another baby...

I'm doomed...:help:

miach
09-14-2010, 11:33 PM
how much were you able to sell a single bta for?