PDA

View Full Version : Can you ID this plant?

travism76
07-17-2010, 05:25 PM
So I was in the LFS yesterday to get some plants. They had a tank with a few bunches that were all floating together. The kid there wasn't sure what the name of this plant was.
It looks like Hornwort to me.

Can anyone confirm this? Or is it something totally different?

http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae295/travismvan/2010-07-16191005.jpg

wolf_eyes
07-17-2010, 05:26 PM
definitely hornwort.

FishGirl-Seattle
07-17-2010, 06:28 PM
This is a terrific plant for new aquarists - It grows well under a wide range of light levels, it can even grow floating. And it grows very rapidly. Under high lights it can grow up to an inch a day. That means it can suck fish wastes (aka ammonia) out of the water very quickly. This does not mean it is a substitute for a properly cycled filter, but it means it helps more than slower growing plants! This is a good plant to put in a new aquarium. Planted it can also be invasive, but the fish don't mind if you don't!

SunSchein89
07-17-2010, 06:43 PM
:+1: Hornwort. Very easy, fast-growing plant. Going to require some trimming on your part fairly often to keep it looking nice.

gm72
07-17-2010, 06:55 PM
Hornwort and water wisteria are both really great starter stem plants

taralm13
07-18-2010, 03:10 PM
Hornwort! I love it but I can't seem to get it "planted". Good luck in doing that if that is what you plan. Mine always floats back up and tangles into all my other plants. I am going to be testing out some new ways (new for me anyway) of getting the stuff to stay in one spot today. I will be using fishing line and rocks...hopefully it works. The stuff grows so fast too...you will be pulling out handfuls on every water change!

travism76
07-18-2010, 05:36 PM
I used Eco Complete substrate and it has been doing a great job of holding in all the plants. This was my first attempt with live plants. So far so good. I also just purchased a potted micro sword and also what I believe to be Anacharis. I have an Anubias chilling out on driftwood too. Its doing great, already sprouting a new stem off the rhizome.

Eventually I want to change out some of the Amazon sword for a plant with some other color to it....any thoughts?

gm72
07-18-2010, 06:07 PM
Most of the "colorful" plants such as red ludwigia, require higher lighting.

Dave66
07-18-2010, 06:08 PM
As well as chelated iron both in a fine-grain substrate and in the water.

Dave

travism76
07-18-2010, 11:43 PM
Well I have just under 4 Watts per gallon. I would think that would be enough to handle any water plants needs.

SunSchein89
07-19-2010, 12:02 AM
For the most part. Once you start getting into higher lighting like that, the plants will be limited in growth by the amount of nutrients and carbon available to them. Basically, they'll only grow as much as any one of those three factors will let them, and this can actually cause algae problems because algae thrives in less than ideal conditions. Having fast growers like your hornwort and and anacharis are good starting points to keep algae at bay, though. A lot of anubias sp. will also prefer lower lighting than what you have, so you may want to get some kind of taller plant above it to give it some shade

travism76
07-19-2010, 08:32 PM
Thank you very much for the info. I will make sure to keep an eye on that. I can swap the bulbs for slighlty lower wattage if need be. Is there an easy way to tell if I have too much wattage?