PDA

View Full Version : Sunrise-sunset effect

Genirous
06-07-2007, 03:23 PM
Hi everyone from Athens, Greece!:19:
I have a topic to discuss with you...
I bump into a german on-line magazine and after downloading it, in pages 10 and 11 there was a DIY electronic mechanism which offers an automatic sunrise and sunset effect!!!
I haven't find the time to look more into it, so I would like to know from you if this has any chance to work...:c4:
So...the link is:http://www.aquariummagazin.de/commen...b4ab7e0d63fe99
Greetings!!!:19:

I love Pufferfish
06-07-2007, 05:03 PM
the link doesn't work..

Genirous
06-07-2007, 05:41 PM
Sorry guys...my mistake...:22:
Here it is:
http://www.aquariummagazin.de/comment.php?dlid=6&ENGINEsessID=53aba0f19dbffcec04b4ab7e0d63fe99

frizzlefish
06-07-2007, 05:59 PM
hmmmm

Fascinating..... I think..... if I could read German maybe?

hungryhound
06-07-2007, 06:46 PM
nanaglen2001 should be a big help here, and My wife could do it as well. She may help you later this evening as she will be avoiding me, as I am watching my Cavs play tonight and she doesn't like it when I yell at the TV. But the only sport she follows is baseball and is a cubs fan so she is used to losing and no longer gets upset with losing.

hungryhound
06-08-2007, 03:38 AM
I am posting a translation of the sunrise-sunset device for my husband. This will span several posts!

Disclaimer: I have a very poor grasp of electrical things, but I think I was able to translate this such that it would make sense to someone who knows more about this stuff. Happy reading. Oh, and nanaglen2001, feel free to make changes to my translation (this was a whole new vocabulary for me!).

I wanted to build his circuit with the least amount of effort and with the smallest amount of electrical engineering of new things as possible. That also goes for the description of the circuit. It requires an electrical ballast (EVG) with 10V live bit (digital signal). EVGs are cheap to come by on eBay

Through activation of a time switch, S1, in the morning, 220V is applied to the EVG. The condenser (Elkos) is empty and builds to a bypass. The working voltage on the live bit (digital signal) 10V will be pulled towards zero. The fluorescent light glows around 1%.

With the working voltage EVG 10V the Elkos is slowly charged. After approximately 20min, the working voltage reaches about 9-10V. The lamp glows at 100%.

The dimming is activated over the relay (R) of the time switch, S2. With contact of R1, the resitance 2KW (by 5KW is the dimming elongated) is connected in parallel to the Elkos. After about 20min the Elkos is unloaded. The lamp is on 1% dimmer. S1 is off.

S2 should remain off for 15min after S1 is turned off so that the condenser over Wi2-5KW is completely unloaded.

Example: from 8:00am-8pm (S1) “one”
From 7:40pm S2 “one” (dimming begins) until 8:15pm

Time switch S3 is an alternative. With this one, the act of dimming can be switched off. The light glows without dimming, always with 100% drawing.

Figure 1: Applying the time switch.

hungryhound
06-08-2007, 03:40 AM
The assembling is with the appropriate building reliable. Nevertheless, I refer you emphatically to the safety instructions in the accompanying assembly proposal from Martin Eberhardt.

Assembly instructions

After I saw the time switch from Norbert in the internet, I thought: „I could build that for a good price.” Said, done! To the info: As my replica is based on an alter time switch from Norbert, there is resistance to the charging of the condenser built in. Anymore the time switches from Norbert contain 3 condensers (Gold Gap), which the EVGs with more than 10V going should. With my replica time switch I also have exchanged the two resistance 1 and 2 KW with any one 3KW to obtain a dimming time of roughly 30min.

Figure 2: Old time switch of replica

You can buy the different electrical parts from different electroncs, consignment or merchants. Here is my shopping list for Conrad Elektronic (Electronics):
1x 616036-14 double time switch (19.95 EUR)
2x 473090-14 Gold Caps 0,1F 5,5V (2x 2.81 EUR)
6x 420824-33 Resister 1kOhm (6x 0.11 EUR)
1x 738557-14 Cinch socket (0.69 EUR)
1x 503955-14 Relay 220 V for R/S2 (6.90 EUR)
Cost: 33.82 EUR

The double time switch has 2 egresses (220V outlets). One outlet I use as a normal 220V egress, as the time switch S1 as in Norbert’s diagram-as EVG over 220V-respectively to disconnect.

Figure 3: Double time switch-before

hungryhound
06-08-2007, 03:41 AM
The second outlet I completely rebuilt, so that after the 220V circuit points from the removed outlet remain.

Figure 4: Dismanteled outlet

This circuit point I have solder on to a 220V relay (in the new time switch I have designated it as R). The switching outlet of the relay is only used for Contact R1 (new time switch), S2 respectively (old time switch), that the condenser discharged. The necessary condensers and resistance I have soldered together including relay in the rebuilt outlet part. The open hole I covered with a small round PVC plate and provided with a center cinch socket. The egress of the cinch socket (1-10V) I direct over 2 wire cables on my EVG.

Figure 5: Altered time switch

Caution! My advice to all the time switch and assembly instructions: This assembly should only be undertaken by a reliable design. Nonetheless, I emphatically point out that this time switch with power supply voltage can be deadly.

It is the terms of the knowledgeable electrical workers to warn.

I do not assume any accountability or guarantee for incurred loss or consequential damage that may occur through the assembly and the initiation of the above time switch

It is recommended that this assembly be checked by a qualified person or at the minimum a commissioned qualified person after it’s completion.

Drumachine09
06-08-2007, 03:42 AM
Danke schon! Wie heißt du?

hungryhound
06-08-2007, 03:47 AM
Danke schon! Wie heißt du?

Danke sehr. Ich bin die Pamela, der Frau von Andrew.

Drumachine09
06-08-2007, 03:49 AM
Danke sehr. Ich bin die Pamela, der Frau von Andrew.

Ah, das deustche ist sehr gut! Ich bin Matt.

hungryhound
06-08-2007, 03:56 AM
Ah, das deustche ist sehr gut! Ich bin Matt.

Frue mich dich kennenzulernen. Ich habe Deutsch 3 Jahre in die Schule gelehrnt und danach an der Uni studiert. Dein deutsch ist auch gut. Wo hast du Deutsch gelehrnt?

My apologize to non-German speakers.....I've simply said that it was a pleasure to meet him and that I learned German for 3 years in High School and then also studied it in college. His German is also good, and I asked where he had learned German.

Didn't mean to turn this into a German feast, but since returning from my year in Germany I've had little opportunity to speak German. I now return you to my husband and hope that this translation helps some of you with this interesting DIY! Happy building!

Drumachine09
06-08-2007, 04:08 AM
Nur halb zwei jahre in schule

Still learning, but its decent. The neighbors have a foreign exchange student from munchen, so we talk every now and then.

cocoa_pleco
06-08-2007, 04:20 AM
great article! i could read most of the german, and that makes sense since i am german! lol

willisrad
06-08-2007, 04:47 AM
That sounds like a really interesting project, but I think that I'd like to avoid all of the electrical engineering stuff.

I'd much rather buy the thing pre-made.

THANKS A TON FOR TRANSLATING THOUGH!!!

Genirous
06-08-2007, 05:03 AM
Guten abend Damen und Hoerren!!!
Ich spreche aush Deutch...!!! Ich habe Deutsche sprache vor zehn jahren gelaernt...!!!!
The question with the DIY project is if it can really work... If it can, I believe that the cost to build such is tiny... Maybe 20-30$...!