PDA

View Full Version : Cherry shrimp ok for my tank?

SunSchein89
07-16-2010, 09:06 PM
I'm considering picking up some cherry shrimp for my 20 high planted, but wanted to run it through with some people with more experience with them first.

A little about the tank...
- 20 gallon high tank (been established for several months)
- Aqueon 20 HOB filter
- Good amount of live plants so far, and more on the way, as well as a few decorations. You can see a picture in my 20 gal. journal (link in sig) if that helps
- Running a DIY co2 (~30 ppm co2)
-Water is pretty hard coming out of the tap, though I'm not sure of any exact measurements. Whenever people bring in city water to work to get tested, it ends up being on the pretty high end of the strips.

Current livestock...
- 4 platties (+1 fry)
- 5 glo light tetras
- 1 male betta (red veiltail)
- 5 cories
- 1 BN pleco
- 3 snails (all mystery snails I believe?), got a few babies running around now too
- a few ghost shrimp (maybe 3 or 4?)

The only problem I can think of is the betta, but I would be willing to rehome him to get the cherry shrimp. Any advice you guys can give one way or another? Need any other info?

rocketdude1234
07-16-2010, 09:21 PM
There is always a chance that fish will eat things that fit in their mouth. Nonetheless, your tank looks to have good hiding places and plenty of cover, and it already has some other species of shrimp in there. In my opinion, I would say go for it, but if you plan on allowing them to breed, you need to put a sponge filter on your HOB intake and start with a good number of shrimp in case some get picked off before they can reproduce.

Also, get young shrimp; they adapt better. RCS are quite hardy shrimp but adults are not as easily acclimated as youngins.

troy
07-16-2010, 10:26 PM
The betta will probably make a quick snack out of them. The tetras and platys will eat the babies. It's best to keep cherry shrimp in a tank without fish.

SunSchein89
07-16-2010, 10:37 PM
I'm not worried so much about the babies, just the main population I'd be buying. If I can keep them all alive, I'll be happy with that.