PDA

View Full Version : Talk About Overstocked And Underfiltered

cichlids209
07-16-2010, 09:04 PM
Take A look at this video noticed the guy has disabled comments . How Convenient lol i know this isn't the worst tank but still

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1HdhXatyfY

octoxpuss
07-16-2010, 09:08 PM
I look at that and go :O because i love the look of it. For some reason i think it is not overstocked to much. How can you tell he has underfiltration. I cants see anything not even a heater so who know.

cichlids209
07-16-2010, 09:11 PM
it says in the description everything he has :)

SunSchein89
07-16-2010, 09:12 PM
In his description it said he had three Aquaclear 110s on it.

cichlids209
07-16-2010, 09:14 PM
owell i guess im in the minority lol :hmm3grin2orange: just looking at his stock

6 Wild Kigoma Frontosa 6 F1 Kigoma Frontosa 5 CB Burundi Frontosa 5 OB Peacock Cichlids 1 Altolamprologus compressiceps 1 Clown Synodontis 1 Albino Common Pleco

3 ac110's only filters 160 or so gallons .. like i said owell jmo

Pleco380
07-16-2010, 09:15 PM
It says he has 3 AC110's That's not that bad. I did notice that one fish scratched against the substrate. That's a bad sign.

Sursion
07-16-2010, 09:43 PM
It doesn't look that bad actually.

jford21
07-16-2010, 09:54 PM
My tank will be way too small for the fish that I have currently...The good thing is I bought them all small, so I have time for them to grow a little bit before I get a larger tank.

The guys tank in the video did look a little over crowded but I thought it also looked nice.

Lady Hobbs
07-16-2010, 10:16 PM
His fish act quite peaceful in their setting. He does need some more caves but I like seeing Fonts out and about like that. Nice fish.

Lab_Rat
07-16-2010, 10:25 PM
I don't think that stocking is bad at all, and if his maintenance regimen keeps his nitrates down then he's fine.

African cichlids will flash against substrate as a dominance display. The fish look pretty healthy from what I can see.

toddnbecka
07-17-2010, 05:41 AM
I suspect the front's may chow down the peacocks somewhere along the line, but otherwise the stocking isn't too bad. The 3 AC 110's will turn over 1200-1500 gph, should be sufficient as long as they're cleaned regularly along with the water changes.

cichlids209
07-17-2010, 05:57 AM
im a member to multiple frontosa forums and even members on here when i had asked about frontosa told me 6-8 max is the most you should have for a 125-135 gallon . This guy has 17 adult frontosa plus about 10 other fish along with it . im sorry but that tank is overstocked . No doubt it is a beautiful tank . i was actually really appalled at everyone's responses . and i messed up on the title i agree not under filtered but its not double filtration which is recommended with any cichlids ...................... BLAH :11:

jaysee
07-17-2010, 06:09 AM
It says he has 3 AC110's That's not that bad. I did notice that one fish scratched against the substrate. That's a bad sign.

Glancing doesn't always mean trouble. Fish get itches just like you and I :ssmile: I bet they also do it to sluff off loose scales.

Lab_Rat
07-17-2010, 06:23 AM
im a member to multiple frontosa forums and even members on here when i had asked about frontosa told me 6-8 max is the most you should have for a 125-135 gallon . This guy has 17 adult frontosa plus about 10 other fish along with it . im sorry but that tank is overstocked . No doubt it is a beautiful tank . i was actually really appalled at everyone's responses . and i messed up on the title i agree not under filtered but its not double filtration which is recommended with any cichlids ...................... BLAH :11:
The fish have plenty of room to move, and like I said before, if the maintenance is sufficient to keep the nitrates down then idk why you're so appalled. It's not like he's crammed them into a 55g, like I've seen people do with fronts.

Sarkazmo
07-17-2010, 11:01 AM
African Cichlid tanks are often way overstocked to keep the aggression even/spread out instead of focused on a couple or one fish.

Three 110's move quite a bit of water and it IS more than double the filtration for the gallonage. The AC110 filters up to 110G tank so he has 330 gallons worth of filtration pushing a max of 1500GPH. Plus you can stuff an AC filter with so much media it might as well be a high flow canister. Sure he could always use more filtration but that's almost always true. He could be running Purigen or another chem media as well. With the PWCs and sensible feeding that tank should do great.

I see no problem here. He's got some amazing and very valuable fish there and I think he's getting a bad rap. There's room for improvement, as mentioned, but again, where isn't there room for improvement in any tank?

Sark

gm72
07-17-2010, 11:41 AM
I don't really see a problem with the tank either. As long as he keeps up with his water changes that tank will remain in great shape.

kaybee
07-17-2010, 12:16 PM
In my opinion the tank doesn't appear overstocked, but I think it is destined to become overstocked when the rest of the frontosa's put on some size. A 125gal with 17 full grown frontosa's is definately overstocked (not to mention all of the other fish). Most of the fronts in the footage are sub-adults with still a lot of growing to do.

I'm not a catfish expert but at 00:39 (left side of tank) and at 00:47 (center) in the video there appears to be a catfish (that isn't a clown syno) that might be one of the larger species cats.

Crispy
07-17-2010, 02:50 PM
Tank looks ok for now, but too many fronts when they get bigger. He should get rid of those burundi and just keep the kigomas.

troy
07-17-2010, 06:07 PM
I'm not a catfish expert but at 00:39 (left side of tank) and at 00:47 (center) in the video there appears to be a catfish (that isn't a clown syno) that might be one of the larger species cats.
I believe that's a bala shark.

cichlids209
07-17-2010, 06:29 PM
African Cichlid tanks are often way overstocked to keep the aggression even/spread out instead of focused on a couple or one fish.

Three 110's move quite a bit of water and it IS more than double the filtration for the gallonage. The AC110 filters up to 110G tank so he has 330 gallons worth of filtration pushing a max of 1500GPH. Plus you can stuff an AC filter with so much media it might as well be a high flow canister. Sure he could always use more filtration but that's almost always true. He could be running Purigen or another chem media as well. With the PWCs and sensible feeding that tank should do great.

I see no problem here. He's got some amazing and very valuable fish there and I think he's getting a bad rap. There's room for improvement, as mentioned, but again, where isn't there room for improvement in any tank?

Sark

Sark filters only do about half of what there rated that's why alot of people put two ac 110's on a 55 gallon when they have cichlids in there .

cichlids209
07-17-2010, 06:32 PM
a question so do i have more filtration than i need for my tank right now i have 2 ac110's a ac70 and a xp3 on my 135 i figure about 235 gallons of filtration and i even wanted to pick up another xp3

Pleco380
07-17-2010, 07:01 PM
Sark filters only do about half of what there rated that's why alot of people put two ac 110's on a 55 gallon when they have cichlids in there .

I had an AC70 on a 27 gallon once and now have an AC20 on a 10 gallon. You are right about filter currents. Especially for cichlids. Sometimes a lower current will be fine though. Such as this tank on the video.

Pleco380
07-17-2010, 07:10 PM
My tank will be way too small for the fish that I have currently...The good thing is I bought them all small, so I have time for them to grow a little bit before I get a larger tank.

The guys tank in the video did look a little over crowded but I thought it also looked nice.

Me too. My tank isn't overstocked now but will be in a few years when they grow. I'll pick my favourites and either sell the others or have another tank by then for them.

Mistago
07-17-2010, 07:35 PM
That's one mesmerizing tank. The fish seem to get along so everything looks fine...

Red
07-17-2010, 11:07 PM
Kaybee is right, the tank is not overstocked now but once the sub adult males want to be the leader it will be hell. I would bump it up to 50%, that is over 400$ worth of fish in there too.