PDA

View Full Version : Sons tank. No algae. Go figure!

Lady Hobbs
07-16-2010, 08:29 PM
Six months ago when I moved, I gave my son one of my 55 gallon tanks plus everything that come with it.

He is not into fish, not anal like we are at all and the tank is lucky if it isn't 1/3 down from the rim due to evaporation. Once I stopped at his house and the water was cold because the tank was so low of water only half the heater was wet. I did get on him a bit that he really needs to do a bit more..........like something!

He has probably changed some water no more than 3 times. No CO2, no ferts, no nothing. Today I stopped to check out his tank and he has not got one bit of aglae, the plants are growing out of the top of the tank and he has maybe lost only 2 tetra's. All the others look great including the angelfish I gave him. Half the time he forgets to turn his lights on and when he does, forgets to turn them off. He "forgets" about having bacteria in his filter and has turned the seasoned filter off only to run another filter "for awhile".

I took my Excel today because I just knew his tank had to be a mess and brought my Excel back home just shaking my head when I left his place.

Go figure, huh?

SunSchein89
07-16-2010, 08:53 PM
:lol: funny when things turn out like that. I'd bet that forgetting to turn the lights on on several occasions is what is contributing to his lack of algae.

Lady Hobbs
07-16-2010, 10:12 PM
Crazy when so many here try so hard and have such a fight with algae and he doesn't even change his water. *sigh

BIO-Linist
07-16-2010, 10:34 PM
the plants are growing out of the top of the tank
This.

Plants can get way more co2 from the atmosphere than underwater. They probably absorb all the ammonia etc so filter is not critical.

Rue
07-17-2010, 12:00 AM
Drives you batty, doesn't it?:hmm3grin2orange:

My cousin has a standard 10 g tank with about 40 guppies in it. It's gorgeous. Clean. The fish are beautiful. Won't stop breeding.

It's been like this for years.

taralm13
07-17-2010, 12:33 AM
Drives you batty, doesn't it?:hmm3grin2orange:

My cousin has a standard 10 g tank with about 40 guppies in it. It's gorgeous. Clean. The fish are beautiful. Won't stop breeding.

It's been like this for years.

That is good to hear! I've been getting nervous cuz it seems that my guppy population gets bigger every day :ssuprised: