PDA

View Full Version : Firemouth

Juannie
06-07-2007, 05:10 AM
Well I have a newbie added in my tank and he seems to love hanging around the kribs (well more like hiding) can anyone give me tips on these little guys & how many is it safe to have together. (I'm researching elsewhere too) but advice in here seems to be the best.

Lady Hobbs
06-07-2007, 10:16 AM
http://www.elmersaquarium.com/10cichlid_jackdempsey.htm

Severus
06-07-2007, 03:30 PM
The only thing i would be worried about is mixing African Cichlids and American. Other than that this should be helpful. I think hobbs got confused! lol

http://liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=1095

Juannie
06-08-2007, 02:06 AM
The only thing i would be worried about is mixing African Cichlids and American. Other than that this should be helpful. I think hobbs got confused! lol

http://liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=1095

Thank you. When you say African's which one's are they? I am pretty dumb when it comes to them - is it the kribs?

Severus
06-08-2007, 04:31 AM
Yes, your krib(s) are an African Cichlid

Lady Hobbs
06-08-2007, 04:50 AM
Yes, I would say Hobbs did get confused there. That darned woman gets all turned around.

nanaglen2001
06-08-2007, 05:08 AM
I am a bit worried about the kribs, cause a Firemouth can become 13 cm and maybe a bit more. A big "Krib" (I guess you mean Pelvicachromis pulcher) male becomes when he is really big, maybe 7 cm.

Both fish are bottom oriented. Then I undestood that the Firemouth is allone.

Its possible that he may become agressive towards the "Kribs", cause he is allone and needs to let off steam.

Firemouths should be kept in a little group aof at least 5 animals, so they can show off their behaviour, and when kept that way, the mild agressiveness stays within their own kind.

Also, a tank for Meekis should be at least 50 Gal. (one pair), heavily decorated with rocks and roots (as cover for the fish), living plants would be perfect. Then they need sand (like the "Kribs" do too. )

I hope you wanted some input about Firemouths and not "Kribs". I had some difficulties to understand your question:help:

Severus
06-08-2007, 03:03 PM
Yes, I would say Hobbs did get confused there. That darned woman gets all turned around.

Ha, it happens to all of us! lol

Juannie
06-26-2007, 06:15 AM
I am a bit worried about the kribs, cause a Firemouth can become 13 cm and maybe a bit more. A big "Krib" (I guess you mean Pelvicachromis pulcher) male becomes when he is really big, maybe 7 cm.

Both fish are bottom oriented. Then I undestood that the Firemouth is allone.

Its possible that he may become agressive towards the "Kribs", cause he is allone and needs to let off steam.

Firemouths should be kept in a little group aof at least 5 animals, so they can show off their behaviour, and when kept that way, the mild agressiveness stays within their own kind.

Also, a tank for Meekis should be at least 50 Gal. (one pair), heavily decorated with rocks and roots (as cover for the fish), living plants would be perfect. Then they need sand (like the "Kribs" do too. )

I hope you wanted some input about Firemouths and not "Kribs". I had some difficulties to understand your question:help:

YES, thank you!! Well the little fella (firemouth) is hiding with all the kribs in my tank, should I be getting a "friend" for it, I was under the impression that having only one of it's kind would be ok. It's definitely a shy fish (along with my kribs), I have lots and lots of hiding places for it. Is it safe to have 2 or more firemouth in the same tank with the kribs, one convict, severums, gouramis, tetras & corys??

nanaglen2001
06-26-2007, 06:40 AM
Quaote signature:
"Tank 4
1 white red tail shark
6 corys,1 gold gourami,1 green & 1 gold severum, 1 firemouth
3 algae eaters
about 20 kribs, 2 widow tetra,4 glowlight tetra,2 serpae tetras" - End of Quote

Interesting combination, but those animals dont fit at all together in one tank. Better would be:

-The tetras, cories and maybe the severum in one tank. But with this combination you would need more tetras, at least 10 animals per kind.
-The gourami and those algae eaters in a second. Then the gourami should have some comrades too. A nice school of barbs or bigger Danios as dither fish.
-The cribs and maybe the cories in their own home. Better would be to give about 18 kribs away, and just keep one pair.
-A school of Firemouths and a school of convicts together with maybe cories and Lifebearers in maybe a fourth home...

hm and the red red tail shark, if it is the fish I think, will need a place of its own, when it becomes older. Those animals become very territorial and fight off ANY other inhabitant.

Juannie
06-29-2007, 12:15 AM
Quaote signature:
"Tank 4
1 white red tail shark
6 corys,1 gold gourami,1 green & 1 gold severum, 1 firemouth
3 algae eaters
about 20 kribs, 2 widow tetra,4 glowlight tetra,2 serpae tetras" - End of Quote

Interesting combination, but those animals dont fit at all together in one tank. Better would be:

-The tetras, cories and maybe the severum in one tank. But with this combination you would need more tetras, at least 10 animals per kind.
-The gourami and those algae eaters in a second. Then the gourami should have some comrades too. A nice school of barbs or bigger Danios as dither fish.
-The cribs and maybe the cories in their own home. Better would be to give about 18 kribs away, and just keep one pair.
-A school of Firemouths and a school of convicts together with maybe cories and Lifebearers in maybe a fourth home...

hm and the red red tail shark, if it is the fish I think, will need a place of its own, when it becomes older. Those animals become very territorial and fight off ANY other inhabitant.

Oh dear, I have been trying to sell/give away most of the kribs for months now and no one here wants them. I actually don't have enough space for more tanks, I've already got 4 (one has my jag, one has my goldies, one with my oscar & pleco and then this one), my partner will NOT let me have anymore & I honestly couldn't afford the setup (we're also renting too).

I have seen many many tanks over here mixed with fish similar to mine and I have asked at shops, people always (even at LFS) say that they should be fine together so I've just done my selection by trial and error and it's seemed to work more so than not. I didn't want more than one convict only because I've had many before and they bred like rabbits then started killing off other fish incl their own kind. The red tail white shark is actually resonably timid, he hides in a log all the time, the only time I saw him aggressive was when I first got him and he'd chase others around, now he rarely does that. The gourami & my gold severum are new buddies and constantly follow each other around. My firemouth, green severum & kribs all seem to hang out together. Should I be getting another firemouth just so they other one is happier or is it still a bad idea? It all gets a bit difficult when LFS give you the wrong info doesn't it. I've moved them into the bigger tank and they seem pretty happy (for now).

Looks like I'm a bit stuck on what to do, if only the house was bigger, tanks were cheaper & I could have 5 or 6 (plus another 24hrs a day), it would make it all so much easier wouldn't it.

Thank you for your help though I do appreciate it.