PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice for my hornwort

taralm13
07-16-2010, 04:46 PM
I am planning on redecorating my tank again due to my filter problems (when my filter decides to be too strong it just messes up the whole tank). So my problem is the hornwort. I want it to stay put in front of my filter but if I stick it in the gravel it just rots at the bottom and then it is free again. I use those lead weights (which I just read somewhere on this forum s/b removed at some point...why is this? I have never removed mine...will this cause problems?). I was thinking of maybe putting a big rock on top of it to hold it down but figured this would not help with the rotting issue or will it? Also, I was thinking that maybe I could use fishing line to wrap around the clump then maybe tie that to a nut (like nuts and bolts kind of nut) then maybe putting a rock on the fishing line nut end to keep it in place but not in the gravel per se. Of course I can't seem to find any fishing line lying around my house when I need it. Would this work? Can I put a nut in my tank or will it hurt the fish? I really like the hornwort I just don't want it floating around because when it does it looks ugly and gets all tangled up in the other plants. I would like to ask just another quick question...is it really bad to keep moving my plants around in my tank? Seems like I never get to leave them in place for very long and I worry that I will kill them by doing this so many times. Thank you in advance for any suggestions you have...I really need help.

SunSchein89
07-16-2010, 06:50 PM
For my hornwort, I'll normally just shove a little bit of it into the gravel. By the time the bottom rots out or starts getting brown where it doesn't get as much light, the top of it is all nice and green again so I just tear it out, cut off the bad part and repeat the process. Tying it to a nut how you described would definitely work. I suppose you could simply tie them all to a rock without the nut too if you wanted; not sure if the nut will effect the water chemistry (I'm assuming you don't want to have one that will rust in there at least).

Moving plants around a lot certainly isn't too good for them, but a lot of that depends on the plant. Crypts, for example, don't do well with being moved a lot and you may start to see them melt if you do. I'd try to avoid doing it every other day or anything, but until your tank is sitting pretty how you like it, there's not too much of a problem with it, just be careful not to damage the stems, and always use sharp scissors/tools when trimming.

rich311k
07-16-2010, 07:12 PM
The hornwort rots because it is not a rooting plant it is a floating plant. You could tie it in bunches to a rock or peice of wood and place it where you want it.

taralm13
07-16-2010, 07:22 PM
Thanks for the help! But what about the plant anchors....do I need to remove them at some point? (I sure hope not cuz I know I lost a few in the gravel and I could never find them).

I have been reading about the hornwort all day and supposedly if you put it near the gravel it is supposed to attach itself like moss or something but there is no way mine would ever do that I can tell you! I am thinking now of scrapping the nut idea and just try tying it to some small rocks to weight it down or something. Whatever I do I need to take my time this go around and make it really pretty cuz I am sick of redecorating this tank! :hmm3grin2orange:

taralm13
08-13-2010, 05:13 PM
Update: I tied the hornwort to rocks with fishing line. This worked for a few days...then the hornwort broke free and was just floating again. I am starting to hate the hornwort. Oh well...I guess it will just have to float.

SunSchein89
08-13-2010, 08:15 PM
Yeah, I've pretty much given up on keeping it rooted. I like to have a piece or two float around just for convenience sake. I think it's good to have some on hand for any new tanks, to keep tabs on excess nutrients, and these tadpoles we caught in our backyard just seem to love the stuff, too.

taralm13
08-13-2010, 08:25 PM
I know...that is the only reason I am keeping the stuff. For the fry and the water quality. I hate that it floats only because it gets tangled in other plants and makes a mess.

I see pics online of it as if it were rooted....looks so pretty that way. I wish I could figure out how they are doing it :scry:

SunSchein89
08-13-2010, 08:54 PM
It's not impossible as you can see in this picture of my tank about 3 months ago. A good 1/3 of the background on the left there is all hornwort.

http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt160/sunschein89/10%20gallon%20planted/IMG_8648.jpg

I found that eventually, the bottoms will die off from lack of light, in my case at least. Then you have to trim it all up to make it look nice again and fight it to stay in the gravel again. Then catch any floaters that make their way out of the gravel. Rinse and repeat. It just became a pain and I didn't feel like messing with it. Plus, I just got kind of sick of the look of it, anyway.

Australian natives
08-14-2010, 01:49 AM
i have all mine shoved in the gravel, and the pace it rots at is slow enough that it has doubled in length before it has come free, so i just do as SunSchein does, and clip the tops off then replant, lol i started with about 2" of the stuff now i have like 90" of it =P. tis a great plant.