PDA

View Full Version : Bettas in a community?

travism76
07-16-2010, 03:09 PM
So my 12 gal is cycled and I am starting to add some fish slowly. I have 3 Rosboras right now and last night I imported my girlfriends betta to the tank.

She had him in a small unfiltered bowl and I felt bad for him.

I am wanting to have a small community with a few more roboras and an a dwarf gourami.

Is the Betta going to be ok with these other guys?

-Right now the Betta seems to be ok with the Rosboras, but will guard his little territory under the 3 amazon swords I have planted.

DoubleD
07-16-2010, 03:13 PM
Bettas an Gouramis are closely related so there may be some aggression between the two. So I would recommend not adding the Gourami just to be on the safe side.

Rue
07-16-2010, 03:14 PM
The gourami might be a problem...

But with the bettas, it seems to be an individual thing - some bettas might get along and others won't. Are you prepared to take the betta out if it doesn't? Or are you willing to forgo the gourami?

Lady Hobbs
07-16-2010, 03:16 PM
Not that gourami. Omit him. All Betta's are not created equal. Some may be willing to share their space and others may not. They are solo fish and may not tolerate "friends". You need to also make sure your tank is cycled before adding more.

travism76
07-16-2010, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the info. It looks like I will omit the Gourami until I have my 29 gal tank online and running.

such a shame...I was falling in love with the pretty gouramis at the LFS.

Another question though, after all the Rosboras I was planning to add some small Pygmy Corys for some bottom feeders. And maybe a couple Ghost shrimp...Will the Betta try ad eat these guys?

Pleco380
07-16-2010, 05:51 PM
If your betta is okay with the rasboras, he should get along with corys. Pygmies are a bit small though.