PDA

View Full Version : The woolish stuff that comes with some plants.

Jeddi
07-16-2010, 07:02 AM
Is it okay to leave it on the plant? Its still on my vallis. sp. after a month or two of being in the tank... I pulled some off but eventually the roots were too grown in so I left some on. Is this okay?

Sarkazmo
07-16-2010, 08:24 AM
That's what is known as Rockwool. It's a 'substrate' that the commercial growers use. It's a complete pain in the ass to get off the roots and I hate the stuff. Best way to get to stuff off the plant is to pull it apart as much as possible then dunk it a lot in dechlorinated water and then work it out of the roots with your fingers in a bucket of dechlorinated water. Good luck. Maybe someone else will have a suggestion for dealing with the stuff.

Sark

fins_n_fur
07-16-2010, 08:34 AM
I have had some success in using a kitchen brush (for dishes) or you can also use a nail brush (or any kind of brush with strong bristles). Get as much of the wool off of the roots as you can. Lay the plant flat in the sink, hold the plant just above the roots with one hand, and use the brush in the other hand in single motion strokes to try to remove as much of the rock wool as you can. You have to be firm, but gentle enough so you don't cause damage to the roots. Sometimes you need to shake the roots in water to help dislodge the freed up bits. You can also use the brush technique under running water, but just don't let that stuff go down the drain.

korith
07-16-2010, 08:49 AM
I just pull the wool apart, and get as much of it off as I can without destroying too many of the roots. If you can't get all of it off that's fine.

Jeddi
07-16-2010, 06:34 PM
But is it okay if I leave some on? The plant has been rooted for quite some time and given off a few runners, I wouldn't want to disturb it. :22:

SkipW
07-16-2010, 06:57 PM
It's not going to hurt the plant, it's been growing in it for a while. I pull off as much as I can without breaking the roots and just plant it.