PDA

View Full Version : 10 gallon startup

FishyPastor
07-16-2010, 04:15 AM
I just started a 10 gallon I used 50% of the water from my established fish tank and added new the rest of the way up. How long will a 10 gallon take to cycle?

FishGirl-Seattle
07-16-2010, 04:27 AM
Are you doing a fishless of with fish cycle?

BiGBlak
07-16-2010, 04:32 AM
tranfering water from a tank doesnt help it cycle unless you transfered the nastyness in the gravel aswell.

SunSchein89
07-16-2010, 04:40 AM
tranfering water from a tank doesnt help it cycle unless you transfered the nastyness in the gravel aswell.

:+1:... the water itself contains little to no bacteria. Any media in your filter is what you will want to transfer over to your new aquarium to help it establish. You're pretty much starting from scratch at this point. I'd recommend taking out all the water and filling it up with 100% fresh dechlorinated water if there are no fish in it. Or just like 95% of the water if it's a large tank or you already have gravel and stuff in there, no sense in getting that thorough over a little bit of water.

There are links here about fishless and fish-in cycling I would recommend giving a good look over to get you started.

tori.lock
07-16-2010, 04:41 AM
If you want to help start the cycle, you need to take media from the filter and/or gravel of a fully cycled tank and add it to the new one, then you need to add a small amount of stock to supply the bacteria with some ammonia source. That, or you can do a fishless and still use the boost from the older tank to speed it up.

Michael Milligan
07-16-2010, 08:58 AM
Looking at your tank list, I would vacuum the gravel in another tank and add the gunk to the new tank. Then take a couple-three of those platys you have and put them in. Add plants! :)

You can do all this right now. Then the tank is started.