PDA

View Full Version : Finally.

lobsternoob
07-16-2010, 02:57 AM
Figured I'd put this in chatterbox instead of new tank setup, or anywhere else cause I don't have any real questions, just wanted to share. So, I finally felt decent today and motivated to do some reorganizing. moved my room around a bit and made space for another 48" tank, it's getting a bit cramped in here... So, I hauled one of the tanks from my side yard out, cleaned it and did the preliminary setup. I also happened to run into a screaming deal on some substrate, at 1.50 per 16 lb bag. Petco had 5 bags left so I grabbed em all, no clue why they were 1.50 instead of the regular 29.99, but they weren't old and gnarly and they were sealed so my biggest loss could possibly be 7.50 and some time. Anyway, just finished setting this tank up, pretty sure its a 60 gal or possibly 55, cant even remember. Also dug out a nova light that had been sitting for a while, and found out the company sent me an actinic I didn't want, but at least I have a fixture. So heres what it looks like now about 30 minutes after filling. Of course the dog had to get in on the action, and the second pic shows what that wall looks like, gotta make a custom stand to go in between the tanks, then im gonna put a 20g that I temporarily took down in the middle probably, after that, another 48" behind the head of my bed and I'm outta room and electrical sockets.

lobsternoob
07-16-2010, 03:03 AM
Oh, and also, any ideas for stocking, decorations, etc would be great, although i am gonna look in my driftwood pile and see what i can pull out but thats all I know for now. Right now I'm sure it's going to be planted, and that it is just a bit too small for any large cichlids, that's about as far as I've thought ahead. Not that i would want a planted tank with large cichlids anyway.

SunSchein89
07-16-2010, 03:06 AM
Ha, I know the feeling. I'm constantly moving tanks around trying to make room and trying to get more electrical sockets. It's like a never-ending battle :sconfused: .

Lady Hobbs
07-16-2010, 03:11 AM
Just moved one of my 55's today.......for the 4th time in the 6 months since I moved here. It doesn't matter if you move them 10" or 100 miles, everything needs to come out of them.

And now it is staying where it is forever! I am done moving it.

lobsternoob
07-16-2010, 03:28 AM
I hear ya both, I have a lot of sockets in my room, but with 3 computers, 8-10 tanks depending on the day, and all my other stuff, sockets are getting scarce, even with a lot of surge protectors/power strips in use. Thankfully Hobbs, this tank was empty to begin with, but did take some effort to clean. I hate having to move tanks that are full, emptying them out does always give you a good chance to redecorate though. At least moving a 55 is manageable, when they get up above 100 it starts getting way more difficult to move, this one was no problem on my own. Thank you super light acrylic! Now if they could only make it a little more forgiving of scratches.

Northernguy
07-16-2010, 04:06 AM
I see no need to for this to be in the chatterbox,its completely tank and fish related.Its now in the General section.

The tank looks great!
Lots of work but its always worth it in the end.lol Have you had angels before?

lobsternoob
07-16-2010, 04:13 AM
Ok NG, I guess your right, thanks for moving it then :) Anyway, yes I've had angels before, I'm not a big fan of them really. I've had discus a loong time ago, and was thinking of them. Don't know where to get them around here though, and they're a lot of work. So I'm kinda floating around a bunch of ideas.

FishGirl-Seattle
07-16-2010, 04:23 AM
Ok, so now I can't stop wondering what the 'inappropriate' poster was that you blacked out in the second pic! :hmm3grin2orange: And $1.50 for substrate - now that was some really excellent karma!...On to fish talk, have you ever thought of doing one of those nature aquariums, everything designed around rock or wood? Always thought I'd do one of those sparten tanks, just ground cover for plants and a single species of small tetra swimming amongst the rocks....if only I had a spare tank, lights, filter and substrate. You have the spare everything - time for something completely different? :sconfused:

lobsternoob
07-16-2010, 05:43 AM
Lol, the phrase everything designed around rock and wood pretty well describes most of my tanks. I find a lot of local jade down south from here so most of my tanks are full of lower quality jade rocks I don't want to waste time cutting. I also pick up a massive amount of driftwood, I have a huge pile out back, so... I'm thinking fairly heavily planted with a few small but long pieces of driftwood if that makes any sense.Or possibly a large branching root structure as a centerpiece and the rest planted and stones. I'm more thinking about fish to get, but there's not a large variety of interesting stuff available here, I'll have to take a look at my LFS' I help out ats' supplier list.

promise
07-16-2010, 05:55 AM
I cant wait to see the finished result.

Crispy
07-16-2010, 11:00 AM
Kudos for setting up another tank.

how bout a small predator like an archerfish, bushfish, or leaffish? or maybe start growing out some loaches?

lobsternoob
07-16-2010, 08:56 PM
While those are all good ideas, I would like to have it be a fairly active tank. Not going to be able to put a lot with a bushfish or leaf fish I'd think, haven't had either before. Archers are cool, I have had them, but correct me if I'm wrong, don't they get to be 10+ inches and do best in schools? This tank really isn't big enough for that. Also, if I were going to have another archer, (the one I used to have had its own tank) I would want to do a tank in which they could show off their awesome skill, which would require an open top, and lower water level (just IMO) once again, not really possible with this tank. Also, I haven't seen any of these fish locally really, except some really unhealthy looking leaf fish at a local big box store I will only usually buy hardware and sometimes food from. As for loaches, I'm assuming you mean clowns? They get pretty large, and although it takes a good while, I most likely won't really have anywhere to put them once they did. I kind of want to stay away from anything I have to plan on moving to a larger tank later, Ive gotten myself into trouble that way in the distant past. Now you've got me tempted to drag the other 48" tank in from the sideyard to put by the head of my bed LOL but it's a bit soon for that. I do really appreciate the suggestions though, thanks:ssmile:

Update on the tank: Still very cloudy but clearing, probably could have washed the substrate better, but I'm not in any rush to start stocking. Although, I have plenty of cycled medium waiting for me in another tank, and at my LFS that i do some work for. So theoretically I could begin stocking slowly at any time. I'll post some more info on the setup a bit later once I get everything figured out.

cichlids209
07-16-2010, 09:03 PM
that tanks looks great

lobsternoob
07-17-2010, 05:26 AM
Thanks dane.

Ok, so here's the setup pretty much, everything but the light came with the tank and stand for 85 bucks, so I can't complain.

Tank: Truvu Aquasystem 60 R ( I guess I grabbed the 60, and not the 55 from the side yard, wasn't sure because they are tarped and buried behind a lot of other stuff. http://www.truvuaquariums.com/maa00060r.html

Filtration: built in wet/dry system powered by Rio 2100 pump (may be a bit overkill, it's providing a LOT of flow) http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=rio+pumps&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=3369180440809475028&ei=djpBTOi1CpO8sQP6sIyODQ&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CDcQ8wIwAw#

Heaters: two 200w visi-therm stealth heaters (once again may be overkill, but they came with the tank, and theres no harm in more even heat distribution)http://www.aquariumguys.com/visitherm13.html

Lighting: Nova extreme 2x54w T5 fixture using one 5,000k (I think) and one 10,000k (traded the actinic for the only thing I could find that's more appropriate for planted) This is one point where I'm not so overkill and may get another strip depending, the tank is somewhat deep. http://www.shopping.com/xPO-CURRENT-USA-INC-Current-USA-Nova-Extreme-T5-X2-Freshwater-Aquarium-Lighting-Fixture-2X54-Watt-48-inch

Anyway, that's what I'm working with for now, any suggestions or tips are welcome.

cichlids209
07-17-2010, 05:38 AM
have you thought of african cichlids ?? mbuna or peacocks ?

lobsternoob
07-17-2010, 06:08 AM
Yeah, but I want to do something planted and with driftwood, maybe a few rocks, not exactly the ideal environment for Africans.

FishGirl-Seattle
07-17-2010, 07:10 PM
If you want active - go with Rosy Barbs. I bought a school a couple of weeks ago and they are so active I had to take some back! Males are a lovely copper, ladies are more silver, and they have lovely fins that could almost be described as flowing. I have learned they get to 4-6 inches, that would make for a lot of color darting around the tank. Never had anything this active before so it took some getting used to, but I like it. They play hide and seek in the plants, dive through the caves, race to the top of the tank, really a nice show. And they eat like starved teenagers! Guess all that activity needs a lot of fuel! Cool fish, wish I had known about them years ago.

lobsternoob
07-17-2010, 08:07 PM
Good suggestion, I've got a school of barbs in another tank though :) I am meeting with an old friend today that I didn't realize was still in the hobby, but he still keeps and minimally breeds discus. He even has some from a strain I used to keep, and says they are directly descended from discus that we both acquired almost 13 years ago. He's a friend of my father's so we haven't had much contact in years, and i figured he'd gotten out of fishkeeping long ago, since he started the hobby after hanging out at our house when we used to have a lot of tanks. I talked to my father this morning and mentioned setting up a new tank. He told me to give the guy a call, so I did. He wants me to come look at his setups, and even offered me a couple types of fish, plants, and some spare equipment. I'm obviously not ready for the fish yet, that would be the dumb idea of the century, putting well kept discus into a tank that's been established two days... But now that I know I have a possible source for healthy fish, I'm really leaning towards having discus again, it's been too many years. I don't want to jinx myself, but this seems to be like the miracle tank that's putting itself together, instead of me having to shop for hours trying to find good deals on everything I need. The guy even said I could borrow his 45 GPD portable RO/DI unit indefinitely. I'd love a bit bigger capacity, but how can you complain about free? I am still a bit hesitant though about discus, a lot of maintenance, and I'd really prefer a larger tank for them. I'll see what he thinks since he's been keeping them succesfully for over 10 years now.

FishGirl-Seattle
07-17-2010, 08:13 PM
Discuss are perfect for that tank - but not very active though. Still, the history behind how you got them would make it a pretty special tank. Go with your gut and you won't be sorry! thumbs2:

lobsternoob
07-17-2010, 10:26 PM
Yeah, discus aren't the most active fish in the world, but the solution to that is adding a nice sized school of small tetras, then you get lots of activity and color :)