PDA

View Full Version : Need Opinions for stocking a planted 29G

DoubleD
07-16-2010, 02:42 AM
Since I got my first aquarium up and running about a week ago:
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=66257

I can now focus on my real aquatic project, a 29 gallon planted tank! I will be doing an aquarium journal for this tank as I need to clean it up and I have some questions on gear that I will post in there (hoping to get it up tomorrow). But for now I need help deciding what kind of fish I want to put in! I have three ideas floating around in my head and I would love everyone's input.

Option #1-South American Community
6-Serpae Tetras/Lemon Tetras
8-Glowlight Tetras
4-Panda Corys
1-Bristlenose Pleco

I am concerned that this might a bit over doing it.

Option #2-South-east Asia Community
1-Dwarf Gourami
8-Lamb Chop Rasboras
3-Yoyo Loaches

Seems kind of bare, but I am not too sure.

Option #3-Cichlids?

I know pretty much nothing about Cichlids, but like the fact that they are a hearty, personable fish. I would love to do a breeding pair of cichlids in my 29 with a small school of other fish. But what type could I keep in my tank and would I be able to have plants? From what I have gathered a possible option for me would be:

2-Cockatoo Cichlids (1 male, 1 female)
6-Tetras
4-Corys

Would this fit in a 29? Would there be other Cichlids that would work better in a planted tank?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Sharkman
07-16-2010, 05:43 AM
what are you running for filtration on the tank?

rich311k
07-16-2010, 10:41 AM
Option one would be fine, you could add more cories.

The pair of apistos with the schoolers will work nicely as well. I would not get the corys, I have found that dwarf cichlids can get rough with corys.

Sharkman
07-16-2010, 12:39 PM
so true rich, about the dwarf cichlids and cories.

DoubleD
07-16-2010, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. For filtration I am going to be running an Emperor 400thumbs2:

As for the corys and the cichlids I could drop the corys for 4 hatchets? Or would that not be a fair bioload trade?

Right now I am leaning more toward option 3 as I like the idea o havin some larger fish with some small schooling fish.

rich311k
07-16-2010, 03:23 PM
I think adding hatchets instead of corys would be fine. Just keep the aquarium well covered.

DoubleD
07-16-2010, 07:30 PM
I have a glass hood for the aquarim but it has a little gap for the filter and other equipment, would that be ok for hatchets?

Also, other than the cockatoos, are there other cichlids that would work in this setup?

Thanks a ton, rich311k and sharkman you guys have been more than helpful and I really appreciate it!

Sharkman
07-16-2010, 07:32 PM
If there is a gap in the glass top anywhere the hatchets will find it. I thought a little opening was fine, but I lost a couple hatchets by not covering the tank. Now if the opening is less than an inch I wouldn't worry. German Blue Rams, Gold Rams, or kribensis are all other dwarf cichlids that could go in a 29g.

DoubleD
07-16-2010, 07:43 PM
Yeah the hood only covers part of aquarium so the gap is the whole length, looks like no hatchets for me! Gotta find something else now lol. I will look into the other cichlids, I do like the rams though, gorgeous fish. Would cichlids get along with a bristlenose pleco?

It's looking like I have narrowed down my options to just one! I must say that I am very excited!

travism76
07-16-2010, 07:55 PM
I like option 2. You may even be able add anther small school to it when all is said and done. Maybe 6 harleguin rasboras.

DoubleD
07-19-2010, 07:13 PM
Just wanted to post this little tidbit from my aquarium journal as it pertains to this thread, and I still need help :11:

Right now the front runner would be the Herotilapia multispinosa(Rainbow Cichlids, the other two I am looking at are Aequidens portalegrensis(Port Cichlids), and Mikerogeophagus altispionosus(Bolivian Rams). The real kicker here is that I would love to be able to breed these little guys, but that seems unlikely in a 29g. Once I pick out what cichlid I want I will figure out the rest of the inhabitants. If it looks like a dwarf cichlid will not work in the tank than I think I will go with option #2 from my other thread:

Option #2-South-east Asia Community
1-Dwarf Gourami
8-Lamb Chop Rasboras/Harlequin
3-Yoyo Loaches

I would like to add a larger fish to this but not sure what my options would be, I like the idea of one or two larger fish and smaller community of fish around them. Hence why I want to do dwarf cichlids

Thanks for looking!

toddnbecka
07-20-2010, 05:18 AM
I have a brood of dwarf chanchito (Australoheros oblongum) fry coming along, but they won't be large enough to ship for at least another month. I currently have the adult pair and an estimated 200+ fry in a 29. I'll be moving some of the fry to other tanks soon, need to move out the cutteri juvies first.
For that matter, the cutteri grow to the same size as the oblongum, but they aren't as colorful. I have a large adult pair of those in another 29 (use them for breeding tanks) with about 60 or so 2" juvies. The cutteri would be more likely to raise fry successfully in a community tank.
Here's a couple pics of the oblongum and cutteri:
Big Daddy (5"):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/toddnbecka/P1030191.jpg

Little Momma (3"):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/toddnbecka/P1020799.jpg

Recent pic of Da Swarm (fry):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/toddnbecka/fishroom/P1040460.jpg

Cutteri juvies (2"):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/toddnbecka/fishroom/P1040455.jpg

I also have loads of BN pleco's available and a few L-10a red lizard whiptail juvies. The L-10a look cool, but they're worthless for algae cleanup.

Excellence
07-20-2010, 09:28 AM
Some advice -- the yoyo loaches, aka, pakistani loaches. They're grey stripes fade when stressed or excited. They need lots of hiding places and have an irritating but funny way of trying to squeeze themselves in tight places. They seem to enjoy that. See if you can buy them from the same tank in the shop roughly the same size.

I had a pair that were and were mates. I had another pair that were from different shops and sizes, and they didn't hang out as they should have. One eventually died, returned the other so not to be alone.

teddscau
07-20-2010, 10:42 PM
You should try to incorperate shrimp into one of the options! They help keep the plants clean.

DoubleD
07-21-2010, 12:12 AM
Hmmm, never thought of doing shrimp! Could easily be an option. I talked to the misses last night about what she would want to do with the tank and I brought up the fact that we will need to move our Rainbows from the 10g to a larger tank. I suggested that instead of getting new fish for the 29g and having to get a new tank for the rainbows that we should use the 29g for the rainbows. Of course that would mean that I need to find a new tank for my new project...enter the 55g that has been sitting in my basement since Februrary..MUHAHAHAHA! She agreed to making the 10g a betta tank, the 29g a tank with rainbows and other stuff(livebearers maybe?) and my having a 55g which will more than likely be a dwarf cichlid tank :19: thumbs2:

So if anyone has any ideas for fish to go along with these bad boys:
4-Boseman Rainbowfish(going to add 2 more with the upgrade)
2-Salmon Red Rainbowfish(adding 1 with the upgrade)
1-Knight Goby

toddnbecka
07-21-2010, 02:06 AM
Rainbows are active swimmers that grow to a decent size. The 55 would be more suitable for them. They're also schooling fish, best kept in larger groups.
The 10 gallon would make a nice cherry or crystal red shrimp farm after the fish move out. Allow them to become established before adding the betta and they should be alright together.

DoubleD
07-21-2010, 04:27 AM
I guess my only concern with rainbows in the 55g is I really want to do dwarf cichlids and a 55 would be better for them, was thinking of maybe getting 4-6 to have better chances of getting a breeding pair. Would I be able to fit in 4-6 dwarfs and 6 rainbows with enough room for other fish? Would 6 rainbows be enough for them to be comfortable?
Thanks!!

toddnbecka
07-21-2010, 05:06 AM
Depends on which species of cichlids you're considering, and how many you plan to keep long-term. If you only keep one or two breeding pairs they should be fine. The smaller SA cichlids generally don't claim more than 1.5-2' of tank bottom for a territory.
Rainbows are generally best kept in male-heavy groups, 3m/2f or 4m/3f would be the best ratio. They are relatively aggressive among their own species, and having more males than females prevents the females from getting harassed too much. The males will be busier arguing among themselves for dominance. A well-planted tank is also helpful so that some cover is available for the low fish in the pecking order.