PDA

View Full Version : Panda Cory Suggestions.

BiGBlak
07-15-2010, 03:00 AM
Im planning on getting 4-5 panda cory for my 20gal. The ones i have in mind are called at my lfs "Neon Laser Cory Cat" they look really nice kind of like albino corys but with like a red line on their side or their bellys anyways . What panda corys have the best personality i your own opinions because the guy is charging 9.99 a pop for them and i need to get 4 or more and i feel that is alot. If i dont get turned on to any other corys i will be getting them next fri and will different corys school with each other or is it the same as schooling fish? even if they dont school if different would it be a good idea to mix them up ?( 4 dif ones )?

FishGirl-Seattle
07-15-2010, 03:09 AM
I've kept several different types of corys, plus the pygmy variety, and I haven't noticed a difference in temperament among them. Right now I have Pandas and love them. :1luvu:

DrNic
07-15-2010, 03:31 AM
As far as temperment is concerned most corries are friendly and like to be in schools. There can be minor differences but that is typically more a result of how the fish were raised (i.e. in small or large groups). From my experience panda corries tend to be more 'clingy' than other species of cory and tend to school very close together. They also seem to be a little more timid than some of the others I've seen. I'm not sure if it's just the LFS supply or not but the panda's around here are also VERY temperamental when it comes to water conditions.

FishGirl-Seattle
07-15-2010, 03:40 AM
Isn't it funny how some fish seem to have a wide range of temperaments and some don't? I never met an unhappy Corry but wow, I've met some nasty Bettas and some gentle sweet heart Bettas!!

tori.lock
07-15-2010, 05:31 AM
I've never seen a cory like that, or heard that name. Are you sure they aren't dyed?

tori.lock
07-15-2010, 06:21 AM
After posting that I looked them up and realized it's natural.

I would, personally, stick with the same type, and bump the number up to 6. Different cory species WILL shoal together, but only if it's the only option, so it's best for them if you keep it to one species. From the brief reading I did, the laser cories are a variation of the bronze, which get a little big for a 20g. I'd stick with pandas, juliis, and peppers are all a little smaller. Financially, I'd also go with a more basic cat. $10 for a cory is a little outrageous.

BiGBlak
07-15-2010, 06:24 AM
After posting that I looked them up and realized it's natural.

I would, personally, stick with the same type, and bump the number up to 6. Different cory species WILL shoal together, but only if it's the only option, so it's best for them if you keep it to one species. From the brief reading I did, the laser cories are a variation of the bronze, which get a little big for a 20g. I'd stick with pandas, juliis, and peppers are all a little smaller. Financially, I'd also go with a more basic cat. $10 for a cory is a little outrageous.
So none of those ? ok im gonna look into the other ones and see which ones i like. thanks.

tori.lock
07-15-2010, 06:49 AM
The ones that I mentioned, if I have my information accurate, should do great in a 20g. If you want a bigger shoal, pygmies would look awesome. You could do 12 of them easily.

With cories because their needs are identical to one another, look up different species and see which one stays a little smaller and looks appealing to you.

Excellence
07-15-2010, 12:10 PM
Pandas are also a bit pricey here too. That's why I opted for elegans, if that's what I have. You need at least 3 to see them playful. I'd get more if I had the space but I don't want to overwork the filter.