PDA

View Full Version : help please...

Ashley
07-15-2010, 01:22 AM
So I got my new bow front, very beautiful. Only thing I noticed was inside the cupboard where you keep the canister filter the wood is split. It's not one of the main support beams, but looks like cheap wood to cover the canister and to the open spots to put ornaments on. It just looks like the siding. Should I repair it? I was going to put wall putty over the crack and then put some 2x4s the same length upright to beef it up a little? is it needed or am I worried for nothing. I didn't fill the tank yet.

BiGBlak
07-15-2010, 01:39 AM
So I got my new bow front, very beautiful. Only thing I noticed was inside the cupboard where you keep the canister filter the wood is split. It's not one of the main support beams, but looks like cheap wood to cover the canister and to the open spots to put ornaments on. It just looks like the siding. Should I repair it? I was going to put wall putty over the crack and then put some 2x4s the same length upright to beef it up a little? is it needed or am I worried for nothing. I didn't fill the tank yet.
Its always better to be safe than sorry, so i say go for it i wouldnt be able to advise a certain way to go about fixing it but your plan sounds good. Good Luck

rich311k
07-15-2010, 01:43 AM
It is not structural, you could remove it and replace it with a veneer if you wanted.

promise
07-15-2010, 03:05 AM
you would need to replace the panel as if it gets wet it will swell, its straight melomime board and its made up of small wooden fibres and then coated with plastic the problem is when it gets wet it soaks up water, weakens, smells like you wouldnt believe, its cheap enough to buy a sheet cut it to size and fit

Northernguy
07-15-2010, 03:10 AM
I say just fill the crack with some plaster,sand it and paint it.Its the easiest fix.
I don't think replacing it would make any difference.
Is the stand wobbly now?

Ashley
07-15-2010, 03:57 AM
The stand has a slight wobble.

Ashley
07-15-2010, 03:27 PM
Well, I plastered the heck out of the crack today. I think I am still going to go the 2x4 route just to beef up that inside area. The stand is slightly wobbly, I think because it's made out of cheap melamine board. I don't understand why stands are made so cheaply! The tank is beautiful, custom trimmed and built very well, and they only provide crap quality stands. I wish I was handy, as I would just build a new one. Northern Guy, I've seen your awesome builds, want to come build me one? lol.

Northernguy
07-15-2010, 03:55 PM
I do deliver!thumbs2:
If you are serious then send me a PM.

Where is wobbly? Is the base sitting level on the flloor?
Does it have any sideways play?

Sarkazmo
07-15-2010, 11:23 PM
If the 2x4s are cut to the right length you could easily use construction adhesive or wood glue to hold it in place. If the stand has ANY wobble to it that's not associated with an uneven floor then the stand needs repaired or replaced. A 2x4 frame inside the cabinet and a cross brace across the back should do it. Since you're doing work on the stand this is a great time to install a good power strip and small light in the cabinet! Both will be of great help to ya.

Sark