PDA

View Full Version : I bought some of those walmart bulbs

coolingeffect
07-14-2010, 09:39 PM
i bought these things about a week ago and two of the six sprouted and the others were duds. they seem to be shooting huge stems with no leaves (the longest about 8 inches) will they leaf up or is this what im going to have?

Flakes4Bait
07-15-2010, 08:12 PM
I actually just bought some bulbs from Walmart today. They were clearancing out a ton of fish stuff so I bought some impulsively. I've never grown live aquarium plants, but I figured I'll try for $2.50. So I can't really help you with your question, but from what I've heard you never know exactly what you're going to get from these walmart packs.

coolingeffect
07-15-2010, 10:19 PM
i dont care really just would like them to leaf up a bit, if they dont ill get some more plants that do.

Rtifs
07-18-2010, 07:58 PM
The little bulbs are aponogetons. They could be several different species or hybrids. The bulbs are notoriously unreliable, but at least a couple should start growing within a month under-water. Remove the ones that don’t since they’ll just rot.

They will send up floating leaves. They are the long leaves in the attached picture. They seem to grow very vigorously at first, but after a couple months will begin to fade. Eventually they will just disappear completely or will settle in for a smaller, slower growing version of their old selves (no more floating leaves). They will put up a lot of flowers during their vigorous stage, and this may be what wears them out – they are putting so much energy into reproduction that they burn out.

I did successfully produce some offspring by rubbing flowers together. A couple months later, small plants began mysteriously appearing in my aquarium. They don’t grow as fast at the parents. I’ve included a picture of one I moved to a betta tank. Its growing from the same spot as some moneywort, but you should recognize the longer leaf from the earlier picture, and it is sprouting some other short leaves.

coolingeffect
07-19-2010, 04:21 AM
i hope i get some floating leaves, for some reason i think a shady area in the tank would be nice. Ive been considering onionplants just to get something that will shade part of the tank. the leaves are starting to broaden up a bit and not look so weird.

gpb
05-01-2011, 04:40 PM
try putting some water sprite in the tank and let it float in a few weeks you will have a lovely green umbrella. you may have to trim it though or it will block the much needed light from the plants below (if you have any that is)

Kay3707
05-01-2011, 07:07 PM
I bought a pack at my local Wal-Mart about 2 months ago. The pack had 8 little bulbs in it, and not one of them grew:scry:.

Countrylovin4evr
10-20-2011, 09:27 PM
Funny thing is these plants seem pretty tough yet weak at same time. I've not had luck before. It depends, there are two different types you can get at Walmart. The ones that just have long stringy leaves sprout in days really. The Lillys ( they were called lillys when I got them) are called slow growing and I had mine in tank for MONTHS! Finally saw something start growing from it. Then as it got bigger my CAE ate it. :-( So I left it in just in case. Suddenly I noticed lots of sprouts (its in a high lighted area were it fell) and it was digging into the sand on its own. I left it alone. Last week I see two or three big leaves coming out (lilly pads!) and they were 2in off floor. Then the next day or so they were 4 in! Then 3 days ago 6 in! The next day, halfway up filter intake. Yesterday they were an inch from top of water and within 5 hours this one was touching top of water. TOay its all on top floating beautifully. Two larger ones (one as big as my hand) has grown slowly but its about 7 in up now. THey should get pink or white flowers on them. I can't get over how big they've gotten in days after waiting for months to get anything!!! I must have done something right by just leaving it alone.

berakou
04-01-2012, 09:24 PM
I bought some of these too, both kinds, the lilies and the other. My plecostomus keeps sucking on them, but other than that I haven't seen anything and they have been in the tank for over a week now. I guess I'll just wait and see what happens!