PDA

View Full Version : Moving Town to Country

trukrwif
07-14-2010, 07:57 PM
We will be moving from town to Country with hard well water.
I was just reading that this weekend I should get a sample and let it sit to see what the PH will be.
What I'm wondering is, we will have an hour and half to 2 hour drive.
Our power converter on our transport blown so now I have no power cause I was going to at least us the air pump.
For this length of time is there any suggestions?
I was going to half fill 2 10 gal tanks and 3/4 fill a five gal tank for transporting fish.
I'm hoping to have all my babies gone in the next 2 weeks so that will eliminate a tank but I still have a 2o gal with Danios, a 15 gal with 5 big goldfish and a 10 with my platties.
I figure if I squish these guys down a few gals they should be fine.
I have a 35 gal at the new place I'm going to fill this weekend and get it ready. I will put a divider in and put the Danios and Platies in then I just have to deal with the goldfish.
Will I still need the tap water chemicals for well water? Least with this summer heat I don't have to worry about heaters. Right now I have all my heaters off and turn off lights once in awhile.
Any other suggestions will help greatly.
Thanks!!!
Teresa

promise
07-14-2010, 08:04 PM
air stones that diffuse themselves and let them ride up front with you with the cab heater on or a cooler box in the cab with you with the heater on
it probably wont hurt using the chemicals as well water will most certainly contain some form of parasite or toxin plus the ph will be different with each batch

little hawaii
07-14-2010, 08:10 PM
You lucky duck, liveing the sweet country life. Your fish will be fine for a few hours in plastic fishbags. Don't try moveing with 1/2 full tanks, you will probably beak them. Use one or two of those clear plastic storage containers if thats the way you want to do it. They work well and have lids too. Try and keep your filters alive if you can buy keeping them wet. they should be ok on a 2-4 hr. trip. Let us know how it turns out. You should try and set up a rain collection system if your well water is to hard or alkaline.

Lady Hobbs
07-14-2010, 08:43 PM
I put my fish in styrofoam coolers and then dropped an airstone in each cooler while I got the tanks set up. If you have metals in your water, you may want to start using ChemiPure to reduce them.

You will not want to put them in the back of a hot truck or in the trunk now during this heat spell.

Good luck with your move. Your filters should be fine in that short time without loss of bacteria.

trukrwif
07-19-2010, 01:05 AM
Thanks for the info.
I'm going to use rubbermaid bins.
I think I'm going to put them in the back of the van so the kids can watch them and talk to them.
If not they will be in the bunk of the transport on the floor with someone laying in it watching them.
I have my tanks down to 5 & 10 gals for the week. I took the 15 & 20 gals down and took them to the new place and filled with water to get ready for next week. Ended up with a surprise batch of Danio Fry's so now I have another 5 gal on the go.
Now that they are ready, I have to finish up packing!!!!