PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Out?

octoxpuss
07-14-2010, 07:19 PM
I bought a coralife f/w t-5 aqualite that has 2 18 lights of 6700k. What type of plants would grow with this light on a 29 gallon. Please help me out. Also i was wondering if i was able to switch out for higher watts by just changing the bulbs. I am not good with the lighting department so please coreect me if i would start a fire. :D

little hawaii
07-14-2010, 07:24 PM
You could change to higher wattage but I would try what you have first. I think you will be fine with what you have though. I use some t-5s. with great results.

octoxpuss
07-14-2010, 07:25 PM
Could you help me out with types of plants i could do?

rich311k
07-14-2010, 07:29 PM
You cant change bulbs to get more power, does not work that way.

As for plants: vals, crypts, anubia, java ferns, mosses. many choices.

octoxpuss
07-14-2010, 07:31 PM
What about carpet making plants. Ok, thanks for clarifying rich about the chainging bulbs thing. I lied only one bulb is 6700k apparently

Brhino
07-14-2010, 07:31 PM
you should be okay with most "beginner" plants that are stated to grow in low light. Check out Lady Hobbs' stick on the subject (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=4074) and do a bit of research on the names there. I have the same fixture and the same size tank as you, and I'm growing java moss, java ferns, anubias, and elodea, and I'm about to try my hand at some water sprite and water wisteria.

No, you cannot put higher wattage bulbs in the fixture and get more light. The fixture will only put out the power is it rated for.

little hawaii
07-14-2010, 07:34 PM
I don't agree, they make 10,000 k T-5s that would work to replace the 6500 k it came with. But I think you are fine with what you have.

octoxpuss
07-14-2010, 07:35 PM
Is there anyway i could se a pic of your tank to get an idea? If so just pm me with it. Please. I will most likely have to experiment with plants all the way through to see which ones i like and which ones i do not. Iam just trying to get ideas.

rich311k
07-14-2010, 07:37 PM
I don't agree, they make 10,000 k T-5s that would work to replace the 6500 k it came with. But I think you are fine with what you have.

That is color not wattage.

I do not think you will be growing any carpets with that fixture.

octoxpuss
07-14-2010, 07:39 PM
I figured. Well what could i grow in the tank wthat maight look like a carpet or something that will nice in a bunch that stays lower. I want a low-high-tall planted tank. Meaning low at the front to tall in the back.

Brhino
07-14-2010, 07:43 PM
Here's my tank from a month ago:
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c376/starmike82/DSC_0600.jpg
and here's a closeup of the well-planted corner on the left.
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c376/starmike82/DSC_0603.jpg

The moss on top of the plastic cave is java moss. In my conditions it's grown slowly and become algae infested. The plant behind it is fake. The tall plants with the small leaves are Elodea (also called Anacharis) and they grow very fast, even with my setup. The one on top of the treasure chest is java fern, and the stuff on the rock on the far left is Anubias.

octoxpuss
07-14-2010, 07:47 PM
I am liking the look of the anubias on that rock. Do you have to tie it off of the rock like that?

Brhino
07-14-2010, 07:49 PM
you have to tie it down initially until its roots latch on. Some people use cotton thread that decomposes after its been in the tank for a while. Other people use rubber bands or fishing line. I used fishing line.

SkipW
07-14-2010, 08:51 PM
If your t5 light is t5HO (High Output), then it will give off more light than a regular florescent or CFL bulb or the same wattage . How much more, all depends on the bulbs.
6700K is a good kelvin rating for plants and it should be a full spectrum bulb. The K rating will give you different color appearances. The higher the K rating the "whiter" the light. You should also be able to mix bulbs (1 6700K and 1 10000K) in the same two bulb fixture. Just find out the max wattage bulb you can use. For a freshwater planted tank I would stay between 6500K and 10000K.
You should be able to grow any low to mid level lighting plants with what you have. Most of the carpet grasses will probably need more light to thrive, from what I've read. Mosses might be a better alternative, but it might not be the look you were looking for.

One thing to keep in mind, if you add "high lighting" to your tank (3+ WPG), you will probably need to add CO2 and fertilizers and it becomes a balancing act and a lot more work if you're willing to take it on.

octoxpuss
07-15-2010, 02:37 AM
One of the bulbs is a full spectrum 6700k 18 watt. The delivery date is friday so expect pics. Thanks for the help and i would still like to here the different types of plants i would be able to use

Brhino
07-15-2010, 02:43 AM
There are too many possible plants to list them all. Check out the thread I linked, that has many different plants named. You'll have to do research on your own. Look for ones that are described as "low light" and "easy to maintain".

octoxpuss
07-15-2010, 02:48 AM
Can they also be moderate light?

Brhino
07-15-2010, 02:53 AM
maybe. You don't really have "moderate light" with that fixture. Some plants do okay at low light but better in moderate light, so those ought to work. If you find some species you like the look of but you're not sure if they'll work for you, you can certainly ask people here what they think. "Do you think amazon swords will work for my setup?" is a lot easier to answer than "Can you tell me every plant that could work for me?"

octoxpuss
07-15-2010, 03:03 AM
Ahahahaha, I guess i should have been a more general approach to this. I meant by every plant like plants that u have had experience and success with. I guess i made a generalization. OOPsy. Ha. I will make an order sheet out and copy and paste it so everyone can make their critiques.