PDA

View Full Version : Have to rehome My cichlids ! (MA)

amateur
07-14-2010, 02:01 PM
Unfortunately I have to move from Ma to Ca in about a month so there is no way I can carry my fishes with me.
I started this tank about a year ago(I was one of those people who had a bad fishless cycling experience), it has been going strong for about 9 months now.

I have 5 cichlids:
2 red zebra (one around 2.5 the other around 3.5 inches)
2 jewels (around 3 inches, one is larger then the other)
1 mixed (about 3" long)

They are healthy, I had some aggression and the mixed one got a little hurt but it is doing very good now.

I was planning to give them to Petco but I don't want them to suffer and I am not sure about their tanks.

How can I find someone to rehome them? I tried craigslist and put 10-15$ price on all of them(I didn't want to offer them for free since there are all sorts of people there).

If someone here lives around Boston and has an established tank I will be happy to rehome them(money is not the issue finding people possessing appropriate tanks is).

Scrup
07-14-2010, 04:33 PM
LFS or CL would be your best bet. Keep up with the CL ads, and try dropping the price. Thats about what I would pay for fish in a store.

cichlids209
07-14-2010, 05:30 PM
yea cl is prob your fastest way of re homing them but sorry to say you will prob have to drop the price to sell that's more than i would pay at a lfs or post cheap to good home and verify they have a appropriate tank ?

Lady Hobbs
07-14-2010, 05:35 PM
I'd place an ad in your local newspaper in the Freebie section to see if you can find them a home. The most important thing is to find them homes and not the $10. Or ask a fish store around you if they would take them off your hands.

amateur
07-14-2010, 06:07 PM
Thank you for the replies.

I gave ad on craigslist and waiting. I'm trying to make sure they have an appropriate tank

The money is not important but I am wondering in which LFS you can buy 5 , 3" long cichlids for a total of 10 or 15 $ (around 2-3 dollars per adult cichlid)? Petsmart sells similar ones for around 20$ "each", the online stores around 13$ "each".

cichlids209
07-14-2010, 06:25 PM
wow massachusetts is a expensive place to live thats crazy over here in cali red zebra's and jewels go for about 5.99 -6.99 from anywhere in sizes 1-4 inches . i misread your post :) my bad i thought you were wanting 10-15 each haha thats really not a bad price for all 5 thumbs2: Good Luck

jford21
07-14-2010, 07:26 PM
Hi Amateur

Another idea is to put them up for free, but if someone calls you for them, tell them you want to check out their tank before you give the fish to them. This way price is not an issue for someone, and you have the peace of mind that their tank is established and big enough for your fish.

amateur
07-14-2010, 08:12 PM
wow massachusetts is a expensive place to live thats crazy over here in cali red zebra's and jewels go for about 5.99 -6.99 from anywhere in sizes 1-4 inches . i misread your post :) my bad i thought you were wanting 10-15 each haha thats really not a bad price for all 5 thumbs2: Good Luck

That's really good news because when I go to LA i am planning to setup a 55gal this time and at 6.99$ all you can find is <= 1" electric yellows, jewels etc. in the petsmarts close to me.

I remember purchasing them a year ago. You really don't realize how big they got unless you go back to a fish store and look at the fishes.

Good news is just after I wrote the post someone replied to my post. I asked about the tanks size, if it was cycled etc, replied that it is a 40gal tank and right now he has 3 cichlids in it.

40 gal with 8 cichlids will be a little crowded I guess still with good filtration it shouldn't be a problem. I don't know If I should search for someone else since he is giving very brief answers to my questions.