PDA

View Full Version : Breeding Platys

troy
06-07-2007, 02:38 AM
I've had a small group platys in a 5-gallon with some other fish in it for a couple of months and I can't get them to breed.

cocoa_pleco
06-07-2007, 02:40 AM
try getting a larger tank like a 10g and getting the proper 1 male to 3 female ratio

hungryhound
06-07-2007, 02:41 AM
I've had a small group platys in a 5-gallon with some other fish in it for a couple of months and I can't get them to breed.

I don't have much experience here, but I would say that your tank is overstocked and stressing out your fish, or your other fish are eating the babies.

troy
06-07-2007, 04:11 AM
I'm almost positive my platy has never gotten pregnant and what's weird is she looks like she is in really good position.

ChurchofAdam
06-07-2007, 04:17 AM
just about the only way she isn't (barring infertility) is if she hasn't been kept in a tank with males before... or if it's actually a dude I suppose

bscman
06-07-2007, 04:54 AM
Poor water conditions, stress, overstocking/small tanks...

All of those things can suppress a fishes desire to reproduce. A larger tank, and spotless water conditions would probably be enough to get things going for you.

Sasquatch
06-07-2007, 12:23 PM
What exactly is in your 5g? You're probably overstocked and the other fish are probably eating the larvae before you can spot them. It's probably not a bad thing since you don't really want any more fish in there anyway.

Probably some stupid questions but:
- What's your male/female ratio?
- Can you tell when a female is pregnant?

troy
06-07-2007, 04:44 PM
My ratio currently 1 male to 1 female and I can tell if a platy is pregnant or not.

ChurchofAdam
06-07-2007, 07:57 PM
it's a good idea to keep more females than males to stop them from harassing her too much. some people say 3:1, I've found 2:1 is okay for platies. gupps are more, uh, insistant with mating I think.

one thing to note is even if your conditions are ideal, sometimes they'll prefer to breed with a closer strain. one of my male platies only tries to mate with the female of the same colour/fin type. he ignores the regular red females.

troy
06-07-2007, 08:18 PM
I have the same strain,but what is probably stopping them from breeding is I don't have perfect conditions.

ChurchofAdam
06-08-2007, 08:28 PM
heh, believe me... with platies/swords/gupps conditions don't have to be perfect. One red platy dropped babies in the bag on the way home from the shop. stress-induced I know, but still the ones that weren't eaten survived just fine.

troy
06-09-2007, 12:01 AM
Yeah, they usually don't need perfect conditions. What is also weird is the
platys at the store I got them from, are never pregnant. I think my platy is going
to be pregnant; after the activity that has been going on in the tank the last couple days. Also, I removed my evil tetras.